cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: GR Dating Anxiety: 20th January AEDT

@Hozzles 

That comment from that someone who said "but that's just how lesbian relationships are!" sounds awful. I'm sure you have many things that you can offer someone when you are feeling ready to date again Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Time for the next round of questions! Smiley Very Happy Heart

Have you ever felt like you have to date or be in a relationship? How have you managed the pressure to be in a relationship?

tinder dreaming GIF

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a Live Getting Real chat to do with Friendship Drama on Monday the 17th of Feb, 7:30 pm AEDT! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart
Highlighted

@Hozzles  I think that LGBT representation in works of fiction can be so important! Tropes like 'Bury your gays' can be really harmful. I've also seen another trope where the same sex couple are portrayed more like friends or called 'cousins' in some versions.
I love playing a lot of games with romance in them and I've seen some really positive portrayals of same sex relationships and some dodgy ones. I could go on and on about this haha.

Highlighted

@Jess1-RO ahh, that's right too! It could get confusing if people aren't on the same page and have different definitions of 'dating', and you're left not knowing what the relationship is or where it is going!

Highlighted

Have you ever felt like you have to date or be in a relationship? How have you managed the pressure to be in a relationship?
Hm... not really? In high school I mainly focused on school, and didn't really care for relationships (I guess it didn't really help that I was repressing my sexuality in this period lol).

As I get more and more older I kind of feel more pressured, but only by myself. Like, it would be nice to have one person who 'gets' me, and who I can consistently share my life with. But I'm also aware I have plenty of time to find that, and first I gotta work on myself.

I found a neat quote the other day; I can't remember where it's from but it was something like 'don't go looking for your other half -- you're not a half'. I think self confidence can improve by recognizing you are your own whole person, whether you're in a relationship or not. 😊

Highlighted

@ecla34 

Have you ever felt like you have to date or be in a relationship?

For me, this brings up some personal thoughts. I have felt that way before in my life. Mostly because I was surrounded by a lot of people who are already in relationships, and have thought to myself "Damn, I need to find someone" and 'why cant I have that relationship". Made me feel like I was being left out of a clique in a way. As society does like saying "you need to be in a relationship to be happy". Which is not necessarily true for everyone. 

How have you managed the pressure to be in a relationship?

By realising that I'm only human, with different dreams, hopes, fears, qualities. That being in a relationship will only happen when I want it to happen, and with being with someone who can help with bringing out the best in both of us, for each other. Makes it easier to avoid getting pressured by perfectionism in relationships and haters from others hahahah

Highlighted

Less pressure more FOMO. I don't really feel obligated to be in a relationship or like it is a societal requirement, but I do see my friends in relationships and want that kind of trust and commitment in my own life. I think there can be a lot of pressure though, especially in places like school.

I've felt a lot of pressure to date. In my parents' culture, I am expected to eventually get married. I hate being asked if I have a partner by complete strangers or people trying to guess my sexuality. My parents have even tried to set me up with people! I had to put a lot of aspects of my life on hold to support my family, so it has made my parents feel bad watching their friends' children date and get married, for example.
At the end of the day, my life is mine to live. I don't think that it's a good idea to be in a relationship with someone and be unhappy about it. My happiness outweighs my parents' wishes. I've also realised that there is a lot more to life and more things that I can achieve than being in a relationship.

Highlighted

@roseisnotaplant 'less pressure more FOMO' is a brilliant way of putting it! I feel the same!

Highlighted

@Hozzles  What a great quote and so true! Smiley Happy