cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: GR Dating Anxiety: 20th January AEDT

@Jess1-RO  I agree with you. I think that seeing things from the other person's point of view and having similar values can help establish trust. I think that people can have individual boundaries that can't be crossed full stop, while other boundaries can be more flexible and open to discussion and potential compromise. Communication and explaining how you feel can go a long way. Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Time for the next question! 

Do you think social media and dating apps have changed the way people build and maintain relationships? What are some pros and cons? e.g. maintaining a long distance relationship might be easier versus getting ghosted

Tinder GIF

Check out our community activities calendar here
Highlighted

Hey @ecla34! I'm alright.. kinda going through a rough time atm, not the topic of the GR though. But thanks for asking Smiley Happy And thanks to everyone @MisoBear @WheresMySquishy @Hozzles  for your kind responses. You guys are amazing

Highlighted

did someone say ghost?
ghost GIF(sorry couldn't resist Smiley Tongue)

Do you think social media and dating apps have changed the way people build and maintain relationships? What are some pros and cons? e.g. maintaining a long distance relationship might be easier versus getting ghosted

I think social media and dating apps have added another layer of complexity to dating, both in good and bad ways!

For example the swiping system on Tinder can be a little bit mean (that's just my opinion though!) but it depends how you use it. It also makes it harder to figure out who's looking for fun and who's looking for a relationship. But that's like offline dating too! Smiley LOL
I like how it gives people who might be a bit disconnected an opportunity to reach out and connect with others (e.g. LGBT dating apps) and to find like minded people more easily. Smiley Happy

(@Ladybug big hugs Heart

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a Live Getting Real chat to do with Friendship Drama on Monday the 17th of Feb, 7:30 pm AEDT! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart
Highlighted

Yes! I have SO MUCH to say about this one!

Like I said, meeting people online helps me so much with my anxiety. If it wasn't for social media, I wouldn't really talk to anyone at all (except for my family, I guess). It just helps me express myself more. 

I met my ex online, and we were very long distance. She lived in the USA, and when we were dating we managed through Skype calls and messaging every day. But at the same time, some aspects can be very hard. For example, when we did meet, I found she was really big on PDA like holding hands in public when I didn't want to. It's weird, having been dating for about 5 months then suddenly having a conversation about physical intimacy, as if you're doing everything backwards! Physical stuff doesn't really come up when you're so focused on getting to know the person through words/ a screen, which can be both beneficial and a bad thing.

Cons... for starters, there are a lot of creeps online and it can be hard to find a safe space. People can turn out to be not who they say they are. I hate the word 'ghosting' honestly... sometimes I feel like it's used too leniently. Like, people can be busy and may not have the time to reply to you straight away, and some people get so angry at me for that. Because of my anxiety sometimes I have to sit and work myself up to opening the message and replying. I truly don't mean to suddenly ignore people... when used in that context, that is awful!

Highlighted

@ecla34 yeah, I find Tinder and other 'swiping' apps to be so shallow and weird! But I guess it is somewhat reflective of real life, you're more inclined to approach attractive people and it's not like you walk up to someone and suddenly know all their favourite movies etc lol... 

Highlighted

@Hozzles that's fair! There's a difference between being busy/overwhelmed and just deciding to ignore someone entirely Smiley Sad Heart

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a Live Getting Real chat to do with Friendship Drama on Monday the 17th of Feb, 7:30 pm AEDT! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart
Highlighted

I think that they have changed the dating culture and redefined relationship rules a lot. It is now considered to be 'normal' to see multiple people at once before committing to one, and I think this has a lot to do with dating websites and apps. I also think that they have made it easier to find people with shared interests, or in your local area. Those factors can play a big role in attraction. In some cases, social media can also make it easier to find out whether your partner is cheating on you.
I think that the role that social media plays in your relationship and whether it is helpful or unhelpful can really depend on the relationship itself. It can really help to feel a sense of closeness when someone is far away, but some couples consider physical intimacy and seeing each other in person to be more important than the ability to chat online. Some relationships also don't translate as well to a real life setting in comparison to an online setting. If you begin a relationship online, it may be difficult to verify whether they are being truthful about themselves. I know a few people who have been catfished by people they've met on social media and it was really devastating for them. One of them decided to go overseas to meet up with a 'girl' that they were communicating online, only to discover that it was actually a guy. There can be really genuine people online though.

Do you think social media and dating apps have changed the way people build and maintain relationships?

checkbox yes GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Yes, yes, yes! Defintiely the way we meet people has changed with a much stronger focus on online dating and social media. And not just for dating/relationships/hook ups, but also how we make and sustain friendships is changing. There is a lot more reliance on digital communication

What are some pros and cons?

So many pros and cons! Pros: I think that it can open up more opportunities to meet people that you may never have crossed paths with IRL, and to get to know someone first before going on a date/hanging out etc. Cons: It takes a lot of courage to put yourself out there and make a dating profile, I think the nature of dating apps and the swipe left, swipe right culture can feel super daunting! 

Highlighted

@Hozzles wanting to give you 100 kudos for your post about online relationships (friendships and relationships)! It sounds like the online aspect of dating has been something that has been really helpful for you to met people and navigate dating Smiley Happy Very interesting as well about the conversations around physical intimacy, I can imagine that would be a big change to navigate IRL