cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[GR] - Empathy! - 29 July

Hi all! Smiley Very Happy

Empathy is an important part of resilience and can really help you form meaningful connections with other people. 

giphy

You may have heard the phase, 'walking a mile in someone else's shoes'. Empathy is about really understanding someone else's emotions just as if you're feeling them yourself, and showing them the compassion and support you would expect if you were dealing with these feelings.

tenor (1).gif

But sometimes empathy can be hard. You've lived with yourself forever, and sometimes you can't even master your own emotions, let alone others!
tenor (2).gif

Other times, we may find ourselves caring too much, which can be exhausting and painful, sometimes leading to a feeling of being burnt-out. It's definitely not easy having to deal with two separate sets of emotions at once!
giphy

So, how can we be empathetic if things are hard? How do we identify were our emotional boundaries are, and what can we so if we find ourselves burnt-out from empathising with someone? 
Join us on Monday the 29th of July at 7:30pm AEDT to chat about empathy! Hope to see you there! Smiley Very Happy

Re: [GR] - Empathy! - 29 July

Hello everyone! Just a reminder that we have our sure-to-be-awesome live GR on empathy starting in roughly hald an hour. I'm really excited to see how the chat goes, how about everyone else? Smiley Very Happy Should be a really relevant discussion for our awesome community of peer supporters Heart 

I shall commence with tag-bombing a bunch of peeps to get this party started! Smiley Very Happy Smiley LOL

running man party hard GIF

@JanaG @Eden1717 @DIVYA @dog_lover94 @FootyFan26 @Hozzles @I_am_not_Groot@Jane_Rose @Ladybug @lennycat2017 @LovesFood @lr8991 @Mcro@MisoBear @missyj @mspaceK @queenP @scared01 @skyedre @statuscaring@Sunflower18 @Tasi @WheresMySquishy @Asche @Bee @ErinsAntics @Esperanza67 @letitgo @linkinpark13 @lokifish @May_ @missep@N1ghtW1ng @Puppies026 @blobby @SomeoneNADJS @Tiny_leaf @unwind@Bananatime04 @Brendos94 @Cheeseburger @keezeik @MemphisBelle @Saltwaterdreamtime @xXLexi_Lou122Xx @DruidChild@Beautifullybroken @Blurryphaced @Charlie-29-1999 @dragon3 @Dyl@hellofriend @indieinsanus @Lonelyboy17 @Mrstweety5482 @nyke@rainbowpotato @skyfireinferno99 @SNUFFLES @not-an-otter

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a SLOW-MO Getting Real chat to do with Dealing with the Holiday Season, starting on Monday the 9th of December! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

Woot! Time to get started guys! Welcome to tonight's GR on empathy Heart

the office party hard GIF

(i know i overuse these party gifs guys, sorry-not-sorry Smiley Tongue Smiley Wink)

If at all you find this conversation distressing or you feel like you need to talk to someone, about an issue then you can call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800, or use their webchat and email services found on their respective sites. The links can be found here. If you are new here then welcome! Have a quick peek at our community guidelines you can find them here!

LET"S DO THIS GUYS!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a SLOW-MO Getting Real chat to do with Dealing with the Holiday Season, starting on Monday the 9th of December! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

If it's a US Office gif, I'm not mad at it haha!

Let's start this GR off with a nice (hopefully) simple one!

Image result for empathy gif

What does empathy mean to you? How or when did you learn to be empathetic?

hello everyone!
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

What does empathy mean to you? How or when did you learn to be empathetic?

For me empathy is understand or try to understand what others are feeling and/or going through. for me i think empathy is something that comes naturally to most people, i cant really pick a specific time when i learnt to be empathetic ive just always tried to show care and understanding towards others 

What does empathy mean to you? How or when did you learn to be empathetic?

To me, empathy means putting yourself in someone's shoes and trying to understand what they are experiencing. There are different types of empathy, such as when you feel the emotions of another person or think what you would do if you were them. Sometimes empathy requires you to think carefully, such as when you need to predict someone's thoughts, and some types just come naturally, such as when you see a person who is hurt.

I have always been a very empathetic person. Growing up, I liked to read and write fiction, which involved me having to understand the perspective of different characters.

Hey @scared01, I love that response. Empathy can definitely be an intuitive thing, for sure. 

I think empathy means really listening and hearing another person. Listening with both my ears and heart open. I think I actually have become more empathetic as I've gotten older. I feel like I maybe didn't think as about other people's feelings as much as a child and a teenager (too wrapped up in my own world) but now as a young adult I feel ALL the feels. 

great responses @WheresMySquishy @MisoBear