cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [GR] - Empathy! - 29 July

@scared01 that sounds really draining, having breaks is so essential to be able to care for others, but being able to do so isn't that easy Smiley Sad Heart 

@MisoBear i agree with you there, self-care is really helpful in preventing emotional burn-out

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a SLOW-MO Getting Real chat to do with Generational Differences, starting on Monday the 11th of November! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

Remember a time when someone was empathetic towards you. How did it make you feel? Was it helpful?

i dont experience alot of empathy offline but there has been a few stand out moments where that little bit of understanding was really helpful and made me feel like i was worth something even though i felt like a nothing
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

yes exactly @MisoBear self care is important to help prevent burnout.

it is really draining @ecla34 its about learning to balance everything out
Highlighted

thank you for sharing that @scared01 sending lots of virtual hugs your way xx

Your post really reminded me of just how important it is to be kind when you can, because you never know the difference it can make for people or what they're going through Heart 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a SLOW-MO Getting Real chat to do with Generational Differences, starting on Monday the 11th of November! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

That gif is so cute!

Remember a time when someone was empathetic towards you. How did it make you feel? Was it helpful?

My boyfriend is THE most empathetic person I know. The other day I was having some self-doubt about uni. He took the time to actually listen to my concerns, didn't try to just problem solve. It was amazing to feel heard, and I felt like I could pass that energy on to others.

Lots of people have been empathetic towards me. I'm lucky to have met some really lovely people who care about looking out for others. I think it makes a big difference when I feel that someone is listening to me and trying to understand my point of view. It makes me feel less alone and like my opinion is validated. I think it's especially important in therapy or when seeing a medical professional. You don't feel as though you can trust and open up to someone who is disregarding your concerns. Empathy can really build trust and improve relationships. We can feel better when we are being understood.

One of the downsides of someone showing empathy towards you is that sometimes, it can be overbearing. You can feel as though you are being smothered. There are some things in life that would be better if you worked them out on your own, rather than having someone swoop in to 'rescue' you.

thanks @ecla34 i think that was one of my turning points in being brave enough to seek support even i didnt want to or think i was worth it

Totally @scared01, the best sort of empathy is the empathy we're not expecting to receive. It means so much more. 

Even when customers at my work are kind and understanding when things are busy or we don't have the item they want in stock, it actually means A LOT because so many people can be caught up in their own world and forget to show empathy to retail workers.

@WheresMySquishy, that's amazing. My psychologist is definitely an amazingly empathetic person. It can take a lot to find the right person who will show you that empathy, but when they do it's incredible.

i can understand the downside too @WheresMySquishy
i have felt smothered by helpers before however they werent working together so all the msgs i was getting (like how to move forward etc) was conflicting and overwhelming.

@MisoBear @scared01  @WheresMySquishy so interesting that you all mentioned how there's a fine line with empathy. There's definitely a difference between listening and being empathetic and acting like you need to solve someone's problems immediately without them asking. I think sometimes it can feel like people don't care to listen if they immediately jump the gun to finding solutions, sometimes you just want to be heard, you know?