cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [GR] - Empathy! - 29 July

oh yes of course @MisoBear
i dont work in retail and i will admit i have gotten frustrated at other workers before but generally not for good reason (like loosing and cancelling my laybys) but generally i like to say hello and have a nice day or say thank you when i leave. and as much as it is frustrating having to wait in lines etc its not the workers fault the store is busy and they are doing the best they can.
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

@ecla34  I think that's so true. Sometimes, I just want to vent about something and not receive advice about it without me asking for it. Once, I was annoyed that someone didn't do something for me that they promised to do, but the person I vented to then told that person what I said to try and help when I didn't even need that thing anymore. That was a bit awkward. Smiley Embarassed

Definitely @ecla34 and they might actually care a lot, but their way of trying to help is to help you try and solve your problem, rather than letting you figure things out on your own.

What does empathy mean to you? How or when did you learn to be empathetic?

To me, empathy means walking a mile in someone else's shoes. It does NOT mean completely understanding where they are coming from, and it does NOT mean agreeing with them. It means trying to understand how they have developed certain ideas and beliefs, even if they don't align with your own, and trying to be sensitive to their experiences and ways of thinking.

The reason that I have emphasised not agreeing with people is because I believe that a lot of us are only able to empathise with people whose views we agree with. I think the bigger challenge is to look at someone that you don't agree with - be it on a religious, political, or social issue - and striving to approach your discussions with them in a respectful way. Even if you fervently disagree with someone, you can show them respect by striving to understand why they think and feel the way they do.

I believe I fully learned empathy when I met my best friend. She is extremely religious, and I am a lesbian and an atheist. As soon as I met her, I didn't think our friendship would last. BUT, over time, I learned the role that religion played in her life - it was a source of meaning, a way to relax and release stress, and a way to experience belonging. These experiences and desires are all something I can relate to. So, even though I don't believe in God like she does, I can completely respect and understand why religion plays a role in her life. 

If people are rude I usually try and think "have they been having a bad day?" "is there a reason why they're acting like this that has nothing to do with me?" because I am pretty empathetic. It can be easy to get angry without doing this though.

@queenP  I think that's a really interesting perspective. Smiley Happy

Next question!

Sometimes we can find it hard to feel empathetic towards other people and their situations. Share a tip on how you "put yourself into another person's shoes".

giphy

Hi All Smiley Happy

1. What does empathy mean to you? How or when did you learn to be empathetic?
Everyone summed this one up so beautifully - considering someone else's point of view, really feeling how the situation is for them.
For me, I grew up being empathetic, I was always impacted by others' feelings, if someone was sad I felt sad too, likewise if they were happy.

2. Remember a time when someone was empathetic towards you. How did it make you feel? Was it helpful?
Having someone empathise with me feels both comforting and confronting. I went through a long time where I didn't really have anyone being empathetic towards me in my personal life. As a result, I can be very cautious of people being empathetic towards me until/unless I know them quite well. It's also been easier to give help than accept it for myself, but I am learning to accept help when I need to Heart
In saying that, my psychologist is the biggest source of empathy for me at the moment, and it feels comforting to know that she genuinely cares and gets how I feel

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

love your response @queenP
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

@queenP I love your take on empathy. I agree that you definitely do not need to agree with the person you are empathising with. Maybe the most powerful form of empathy is when people are being rude or hurtful towards you, and you can still see why they might be doing that or empathise with how they are feeling. It doesn't mean you deserve to be hurt, but it can help to resolve the conflict between you.