cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GR: Friends Drifting Apart - Mon Nov 18, 7:30pm AEDT

Hey everyone,

This Monday Oct 18 at 7:30pm AEDT we'll be having a GR on Friends Drifting Apart. 

Sometimes it feels like our friendships are forever, but slowly we can drift apart from loved ones in our lives. Be it age, changing interests or even geographical location, sometimes friendships don't always last as long as we'd hoped. It can be hard to cope when friendships drift apart; coming to terms with the reasons why it didn't work out with someone we thought was a friend for life can take a toll and leave us feeling insecure. 

Image result for friendships drifting gif

But, it's not all bad! Sometimes old friendships drifting can be a sign of positive self-growth, or even make way for new friends. It might even be an opportunity to spend some time taking care of yourself!

Image result for self love gif

We'd love you all to join us on Monday the 18th October at 7:30 pm AEDT for our GR on how to how to deal when your friendships are drifting!

Re: GR: Friends Drifting Apart - Mon Nov 18, 7:30pm AEDT

Who's pumped for tonight's chat?

(^ I found some Friends who are still around 25 years later Smiley Tongue)

I'm very excited for tonight's chat!

Excited Season 9 GIF by Friends

Check out our community activities calendar for November 2019 here

Hey everyone Smiley Happy Welcome to tonight's GR, we'are chatting about drifting friendships! If at all you find this conversation distressing or you feel like you need to talk to someone, about an issue then it's time to get some help! You can call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800 or use their webchat and email services found on their respective sites. The links can be found here. If you are new here then welcome! Have a quick peek at our community guidelines you can find them here!

Tagging everyone who's currently online

@ApplesRoses  @Bee  @Eden1717  @Hozzles  @Jess1-RO  @Pasta  @Ransingy  @Sunflower18  @Tiny_leaf  @Ummmm_what  @WheresMySquishy  @ruthxxx  @scared01  @statuscaring

We'd love to have everyone join in if you're feeling up for it! Smiley Very Happy

Hey Everyone Smiley Happy

Welcome to tonight's chat! 

1. Are there any friends that you no longer really connect with as you've gotten older or transitioned out of school/uni?

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Are there any friends that you no longer really connect with as you've gotten older or transitioned out of school/uni?

It definitely becomes harder to maintain friendships once you're not in class together everyday. Early-mid 20s are also hard because everyone's at a different stage of life, despite being the same age. I live out of home with my partner, but a lot of my friends are single and still living at home (which is totally okay! It just means that sometimes it can be hard to relate)

Are there any friends that you no longer really connect with as you've gotten older or transitioned out of school/uni?

Yeah, I've had this experience when I was going from primary school to high school. I went to a co-ed school then went to an all boys catholic school so all the friends that I had that are girls, I had to let go because I went to an all boys school. But I do see them, once a year for our social. But at that point we're not as close. 

Yes, the majority of them. I have means to connect with most, but we don't really connect anymore, our lives are so different and there's not much in common anymore. And to add to that, those people don't make the effort when I have tried to connect with them since leaving school.
I made friends while doing a TAFE course after school and I no longer have contact with the people from that course. When we see each other in town we are friendly but other than that, there’s not enough in common anymore to facilitate more than a casual greeting, which is okay because I headed in a different career direction since doing that TAFE course.

And as @lokifish said about being in different life stages. I'm the opposite of Loki, I live with my parents and my friends who live alone or with their partner it can be hard to relate.

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart