cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: GR - Life After Year 12 Exams - Oct 22

@N1ghtW1ng so so so much study yes

Frustrated Fainting GIF

3. Did your exam marks affect what you ended up studying? Are you liking what you are currently doing?

My ATAR results got me into the course I wanted after year 12 (Bachelor of Commerce) but not at the campus I wanted. At first, I was a bit discouraged by it but then I came to fall in love with my campus and didn’t want to transfer to my original goal!

Anyways, even though I ended up getting into the university campus I wanted I did a complete switch and after 4 years of uni already I am now studying psychology instead! It is a complete different direction from commerce/business but I absolutely love where I’m at and what I am studying! Never would I have thought I’d end up in the field of psychology but best decision ever 😊

Hello and welcome @Alison5!!
To be honest, I didn't know what I was going to do either, I knew some things I wanted to do, but not whether I was going to pursue them. Even though there's pressure to know, there's no time limit to do what you want Smiley Happy Are you enjoying your science degree?

Also YES! There's ALWAYS another way to get in!! Preach! Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

3. Did your exam marks affect what you ended up studying? Are you liking what you are currently doing?

My marks didn't really matter because I didn't really know what I wanted to do. I just picked something that sounded interesting, knowing that I could change later anyway. As I was struggling at the time, I picked a course at Uni that was below my ATAR so as not to stretch myself too thin as I got back into things.

yes unfortunately it did affect my studies. I pretty much flunked my hsc. Im not so good at the pressurized testing and  because life was rather rough it was hard to study at home at the time. 

Its been 4 yrs since then now though and i am enjoying my current studies 

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

The only thing my marks did was make me think more about where I wanted to study. I'd already decided on the Bachelor of Arts, so I just kept moving around my preferences in figuring out where I could and couldn't go before thinking of where I did and didn't actually want to go.

I've loved my degree. It was absolutely the right thing. I wish I had made some different choices regarding the other components of it, but the degree itself, my uni, and my main major I would not change. 

I am @N1ghtW1ng! It's very interesting and although it's content heavy, I think it was a good decision. Science is so broad as well, so there are plenty of opportunities.
Highlighted

@Alison5 choosing to study something/somewhere that wouldn't stretch yourself too much is a good way to go about it, I think, particularly when you're not quite sold on something yet. Did you consider deferring study since it sounds like there wasn't anything in particular you wanted to? Or why did you decide to go in to uni when you did?

This next question is a very important one for managing stress levels AFTER the exam!

4. How can we keep busy while waiting for exam results? How do you feel about your results?

Going through school, I used to run myself into the ground for good marks. For a long time I measured my self worth against those marks. By the time the HSC trials rolled around, I had put so much pressure on myself that I became really unwell.

With the support of my family and professionals, I made the decision to not sit my final exams and find another way into higher education and employment. I left high school with no certificate and no marks. In the end, it had no impact on my education prospects, because I found an alternative pathway into uni that allowed me to go at my own pace and look after my mental health. Looking back, I am grateful that I left because it was the right decision for me, and helped me find a home in mental health! 

Did you know we have new Community Guidelines? You can check them out here