cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: GR - Life After Year 12 Exams - Oct 22

7. Do you think society puts too much pressure on those sitting exams? How can we lessen the pressure?

I think we have come a long way. There is still too much emphasis on exam results and the amount of time one should be studying etc. but it is much less than it was a few years ago.
In terms of mental health, I think it has finally come to the realisation of people that there has been too much pressure on students (And at such a young age).
The curriculum is now changing next year (for the HSC anyway), so this will definitely help lessen the pressure and reinforcing that there are so many alternatives to Uni out there will help reduce this as well.

Also a reminder that ReachOut has the following resources that you should all check out Smiley Happy

And for those who are moving into post school life:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!

7. Do you think society puts too much pressure on those sitting exams? How can we lessen the pressure? 

Absolutely. My boyfriend's sister is currently finishing year 12, and the amount of work going in to it seems so strange to me as someone who is out of it. There's pressure from the cohort, and family, and I think possibly most majorly is the pressure from the school itself.

One thing would be making all of the alternatives a lot more common knowledge. Right now they're hidden from people and quite stigmatised, I find. 

Perhaps also an encouragement for people to consider what else they could do aside from going straight into uni. If working for a year or having a gap year or anything like that were more the default than 'must get a 99.95 ATAR so I can get into absolutely any course amongst the 8 big unis'. 

I think a big reason so many of my own cohort ended up changing what they were doing in first year was because they felt an obligation or expectation to go to uni more than anything.

Hey there everyone! Thank you to everyone for joining us tonight @ErinsAntics @Birdeye @Alison5 @Puppies026 @Jess1-RO @scared01 @LeoTheLion and everyone else! You're welcome to keep answering the questions if you need to catch up or make you're own thread on the end of year 12 exams! 

See you around the forums!

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Sorry guys! I had to run to the chemist and took alot longer than expected
Will catch up tomorrow
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Oh yes no doubt about it. There's a consensus in society that if you don't go to university, you're failure which is utterly untrue. The fact is that the majority of the population don't actually go to university and the majority live similar lives. Of course if you're going to be some lawyer or doctor you're going to have a much better live in terms of income than a lot of people. 

Doing a trade, going to TAFE are great options. Honestly university is overrated. Don't go unless your dream jobs requires it. We can lessen the pressure by acknowledge there are other ways to living a 'successful' life. Changing the stigma of what 'success' is. Terrible example but it has it's merits. Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were both college drops out, what does that say about college? (Again, pretty bad example because they are absolute geniuses and we are not ha).