cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: GR:Many hands make light work, 23rd Sep. 7:30 pm AEST

@WheresMySquishy i like that idea! 

When deciding on who's doing what task recently in a group, something that was hepful for me in terms of everyone being on the same page was to be really explicit about it. 
I'll do x if you guys can do y and z, does this seem like a fair distribution to you guys? That way no one feels like they got too much or too little to do Smiley Very Happy like you guys said @Milkninja222 @katurian 

@Decal21 love the idea of deadlines for each task! that seems like it would stop that last minute panic!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a SLOW-MO Getting Real chat to do with Generational Differences, starting on Monday the 11th of November! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

@Bee and @Jess1-RO that makes sense! If people are more comfortable with/enthusiastic about their task then they're more engaged and happy with the group! Smiley Very Happy 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a SLOW-MO Getting Real chat to do with Generational Differences, starting on Monday the 11th of November! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

That's exactly it @ecla34 Smiley Happy (Although for me, it's been quite a while since I've done much group work Smiley Tongue )

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

There's been a good discussion going on here, keep it up! 

Time for the next question:

What are some strategies to prevent unnecessary conflict?/If it does arise, what are some ways of managing conflict in a group?

@katurian 

Here are a few ways I know to manage conflict that people can employ Smiley Happy 

1. Avoid judgement first, and allow plenty of room to clarify what everyone is experiencing individually. As people I have found to be more receptive in explaining their concerns without letting the conflict escalate to dangerous levels. 
  2. Like the above point, use 'I' language to convey personal thoughts and feelings on the process of the problem. Focus on the problem, not the person.

What are some strategies to prevent unnecessary conflict?/If it does arise, what are some ways of managing conflict in a group?

Preventing conflict can be achieved by allowing an open discussion around tasks and ideas. Ensuring that you're not cutting someone off, or ignoring their ideas.

Managing conflict can be as simple as letting each person voice their concern and having everyone hear them out.

I think a big thing in group work is to also remember that while you may not agree with everyone else's ideas or opinions, you're in a group together and thus it's a collaboration of all of your efforts together. So there is often give and take, you may have to forego an idea or way you'd do something because another way works better for the group as a whole.

Highlighted

What are some strategies to prevent unnecessary conflict?

I think conflict is such an important issue for group work, it can feel a lot like you have to compromise so much of your idea to avoid any disputes but that sometimes leaves my writing feeling uninspired. For me, I'll try talk through my idea to the group and not be specific with what I want to see for the project overall, so that everyone's expectations can be met. 

If it does arise, what are some ways of managing conflict in a group?

I think the only way to work through it is to talk it out, if you ignore everyone the assignment won't be great and probably won't meet the deadline. I try to get the creative differences out early and just be civil and open to what people say to try not escalate any conflict.

@Milkninja222 avoiding judgement is a good one! And I statements help too! Both excellent points!

I think the main thing I've learned to prevent conflict is to make sure everyone knows their roles and that things are communicated clearly.
I recently read about the STAR technique, which might be helpful for managing conflict and addressing problems. It's where you explain the situation of the problem, what the other person did and how it affected the group. Then you provide feedback on what they would like to do instead.
I like to say something positive first, so that the other person doesn't feel as if they are being confronted or ganged up on.
Another thing I've found useful in managing conflict is assigning a group leader or someone who can mediate disputes (it could be a teacher or another group member). You could also try setting up a system where people can provide anonymous feedback.

@Milkninja222 I agree,that's a good way to make sure people don't take things personally, and impact their self esteem. It also makes them more likely to continue to engage in the group work see through it till the end Smiley Happy