cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: GR:Many hands make light work, 23rd Sep. 7:30 pm AEST

@ecla34Omg that sounds like a nightmare! I think sometimes you can sort of predict how invested a group member is in a project from the start and prepare a contingency plan, especially if its a project that only looks at the final product (not individual effort).

If you someone is being unresponsive/not providing updates on their progress, I've done their part (along with some other worried group members) just in case they decide to not do their portion properly after all. Provides some relief to a worrier like me haha, although it is unfair

What is the greatest challenge you have had in a group?
I really hated working with some particular groups!

In one group assignment I did at school, the other members asked me to do everything and type the whole assignment. When I asked them if they could do some tasks, they refused and made a big drama about it. I was so upset because they were my friends at the time. I ended up working out with the teacher to submit my work individually.

In the first group presentation I did in uni, I kept contacting the other two group members and asking what they wanted to do all semester, but they didn't reply until about two days before the presentation was due. By then, I had already done most of the presentation myself. I ended up having to contact the tutor, who got everyone to write down what they had done and said that she would be marking the members individually.

I worked with another really bad group in uni, where they did not tell me that they had already picked their topics. When I wanted to pick one and did some of the work for it, one of them told me at the last minute that she had already picked it and decided to use my work for her part of the presentation. We also had to do another presentation, where I was in charge of putting all the slides together, only for another group member to change it all at the absolute last minute without telling me despite approving it and practising with it us as a group before. Smiley Frustrated

@ecla34  That's crazy how the group member didn't even turn up! Smiley LOL I'm glad that the tutor was understanding though!

@katurian that's a bit hard on you guys! still contigency plans are a good idea! Smiley Very Happy

unfortunately it was one of those scenarios where everyone had to do separate parts and got graded seperately! I think i should've know from the start haha
"I'm happy to work as a three, means less work" is not an inspiring start! Smiley LOL

@WheresMySquishy those do sound like really bad experiences! i'm so glad you felt able to contact your teachers and let them know! Definitely not right for people to take credit for work they didn't help with! 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a Getting Real chat to do with Dating Anxiety on Monday the 20th of January at 7:30pm AEDT! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

What is the greatest success you've had as a group? What was different from the more challenging situation?

giphy

@ecla34 @WheresMySquishy wow, that sounds so horrible. As much as group projects like these can be really difficult to work through, I hope you find some great groups to work with in your next projects!

I think that learning from assignments like these can prepare you a lot for what kind of approach to take and bringing it up with the marker is definitely the right way to go if people are leaving it so last minute (or not showing up at all!)

@WheresMySquishy 

I'm actually confused on a way to give an answer on this question? hahah

What is the greatest success you've had as a group? What was different from the more challenging situation?

The greatest group success I've had has also been at uni! And it was with friends, which i feel like is rare! (sometimes friends are not that good to work with haha, it can end up a bit like @WheresMySquishy 's experience!)

I think what was different was that we wrote out a timeline of what we were doing and when we needed to have an outline done each, then a draft, then meet up to practice etc. From memory we put all of our work into the same google doc so we could see what everyone had done so far Smiley Very Happy
What was really helpful was as a group doing a dot-point plan of what each person was going to go away and do, so that we were off to a good start and all knew what was happening Smiley Very Happy 

@Milkninja222 has there been a time when you've had a group work experience go really well? do you think anything in particular made it go smoothly? Smiley Very Happy 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a Getting Real chat to do with Dating Anxiety on Monday the 20th of January at 7:30pm AEDT! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

I think the more successful groups I've been a part of have been cooperative, respectful and friendly towards all the members. Everyone has been willing to help out other group members so that everyone stays on the same page and they have shown a genuine interest in the work, as opposed to people who have put off doing the work or are just hoping to scrape the subject. The successful projects I've been a part of have had a really great vibe to the groups and the group members have tended to provide a lot of positive feedback to each other. We also kept in regular communication with each other and were able to stick to a plan or schedule all the way through. I guess there will always be people who you will get along with and others that you just don't jive with.

Being in a group where everyone is super motivated to getting a good mark is always a blessing. Everything runs smoothly, other members are more willing to provide feedback on each other's work, so the end result is incredible! Sometimes I've been in groups where we've finished a week ahead of the due date! Wish every group project was as smooth Smiley Sad