cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: GR:Many hands make light work, 23rd Sep. 7:30 pm AEST

What is the greatest success you've had as a group? What was different from the more challenging situation?

For me I always feel really rewarded after that initial hurdle when we all realise what needs to be done and how we'll work through it. I love to see the group chat full of people bouncing ideas off eachother and asking for feedback or help, it can feel like it's all coming together. As challenging as some groups can be, when your group clicks it's such an awesome feeling.

@WheresMySquishy and @katurian yeah, motivation in a group tends to really show in the work itself! It's understandable that some people just want to pass a subject, but a bit frustrating lol Smiley LOL

@Decal21 agreed! when things start coming together and ideas flow it's such a great feeling Heart 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a SLOW-MO Getting Real chat to do with Generational Differences, starting on Monday the 11th of November! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

@ecla34 

Its amazing to share that with friends in a group Smiley Very Happy 

For me? I would have to draw upon an experience in my final year in uni. I had a group assignment and everyone was contributing to their own, fairly. What made the project a great success was the final days to submit the project, when we pushed ourselves harder to clarify all points and address the necessary criteria to give the best finished project we could. Although, I wouldn't want that to happen based on chance and luck again hahaha Smiley Tongue

@ecla34  I think that working with friends can be really hit and miss. There have been times where I've worked with friends and I've had good experiences too. I think if the friends have a tendency to use you, then that tends to translate to group work too.

Similarly, another success I've had as a group has involved using Google Docs and a written timetable so that we could see what everyone had done and whether there were any mistakes that needed to be corrected. It was a research project involving assigning participants to different groups and gathering data from them, so having a schedule was essential, especially in times where data wasn't collected properly or someone was assigned to the wrong group.

Another great thing that can come from group work is making friends with people that you may have never made otherwise (because you're in a different social circle/group from them)

@WheresMySquishy @katurian 

I agree with those points. They each bring a different set of experiences that one can learn and grow from. 

@Milkninja222 that does sound really good! being able to go above and beyond as a group for the assignment is next level awesome! it shows that there's something really working between you all Heart

@WheresMySquishy that's a good point! sometimes friends do take advantage and it can be really challenging to handle in a group work context Smiley Sad But it can be awesome too!

Oh man, collecting and organising data as a group is mega dicey! sounds like you guys did an amazing job being super organised about it! Can be so easy to miss things in that scenario! 

@katurian i really like that! as tricky as group work can be, it really is such a good chance to make friends and get to know your classmates!Smiley Very Happy Heart

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a SLOW-MO Getting Real chat to do with Generational Differences, starting on Monday the 11th of November! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

Okie doke guys! 
Time for the last question for the evening! Smiley Very Happy

How do you tell the difference between a group member not participating because they don't care vs. them not participating because they don't feel they can add value to the group? It's not always easy to tell! What would you do in each situation?

sarcastic don't care GIF by Black Sails

I think this is one of the few situations in group work where having private conversations with the individual is better than group ones. They're more likely to open up and share any issues that could be too intimidating to share in a group setting.

In the first case, I'm not sure what I would do other than letting the teacher/tutor know about it (although this seems a little tooo harsh, maybe there's a better approach?)

In the second case, I would reassure them that they do have value to provide to the group. This might be done by chatting with them to see where their strengths lie, then giving them more tasks that require that, so they feel more included/confident/valued Smiley Happy

@ecla34 

The way I understand this question is that you cannot tell until communication has been explored. Looking at the non-verbal and verbal cues they show. For example, I have noticed that some people they do not add value when they don't feel invited in, as they could be shy or unsure of how to approach a new set of strangers. Also, they look aware from you, slouch, or don't feel expressive, that could be an indication that they feel unsure of how to work with people in finding common ground and may be unsure of how to express it verbally.

As to tell if a group member does not care is by looking at how they communicate their attitudes to other members of the group. For example, some may talk about topics unrelated to the subject of the project, as they can give the impression they think what they do is boring. Also, they may not add input when they say 'oh I'm good with whatever' as I believe this does not show active engagement with others. This is one way I can conceptualise this.