cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GR: Motivation and Study, Monday 26th Aug, 7:30 p.m. AEST

Hey everyone!

This upcoming Monday we have a GR surrounding Study and Motivation

legally blonde college GIF

For those of us studying (and those of us not!) two big things that can really throw a spanner in the works are a lack of motivation and procrastination Smiley Sad

procrastination GIF

Even when the work starts piling up, it can be hard to get started sometimes! And this doesn't just apply to school work, but also professional work and the stuff we need to get done in our day-to-day lives!

share discover GIF
It can be really frustrating, and often we can be pretty hard on ourselves when we're stuck in this kind of rut

lazy day fail GIF

So what we'll be doing to combat this is hosting a live Getting Real session on Monday the 26th of August at 7:30 p.m. AEST on the topic of how we can beat procrastination and build motivation!

Hope to see you all there Smiley Very Happy Heart

As an aside, how motivating is that study montage in legally blonde? Smiley LOL

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a SLOW-MO Getting Real chat to do with Dealing with the Holiday Season, starting on Monday the 9th of December! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

Re: GR: Motivation and Study, Monday 26th Aug, 7:30 p.m. AEDT

Keen for this!

Not sure if I'm going to be able to make it yet so I'll just share this!
Honestly, I think procrastination has such a bad stigma around it. People say 'oh, you're procrastinating, why can't you just do it!'. I don't know about anyone else, but when I 'procrastinate', I'm not relaxing or anything because all I can think about is what I'm meant to be doing, but it causes me so much stress that my body goes into avoidance mode, almost like it's a physical fear (of failure? of not meeting standards of perfectionism? Who knows!). You wouldn't really expect someone afraid of snakes to go out and handle a snake without first exposing themselves to some smaller tasks... but unfortunately life doesn't wait for you like that. Smiley Sad

@Hozzles such a good point! procrastinating is often the opposite of relaxing, and just pushing through those feelings isn't really feasible a lot of the time

@blissfulhope @Jane_Rose @Dandelion13 @tjayne19 @WheresMySquishy it's less than an hour until the GR starts! If you guys are still around I hope to see you all there! Heart

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a SLOW-MO Getting Real chat to do with Dealing with the Holiday Season, starting on Monday the 9th of December! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

@Hozzles thanks for sharing that. It's so true that procrastinating can feel incredibly unrelaxing - do you think it can be a way of trying to cope with feelings of pressure or stress?

This GR is so relevant for me at the moment! Smiley Tongue

Hey everyone! Smiley Very Happy Heart

Welcome to tonight's GR, we're having a chat about Study and Motivation!

procrastinating mtv GIF

If at all you find this conversation distressing or you feel like you need to talk to someone about an issue then it's time to get some help! You can call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800 or use their webchat and email services found on their respective sites. The links can be found here. If you are new here then welcome! Have a quick peek at our community guidelines you can find them here!

We'll be posting the first questions in a bit.

So glad to have you all here, should be a really good discussion! Heart xx

procrastination essay GIF

Welcome everyone! Our first question for tonight is...

1. What are some of your favourite resources for studying and improving motivation?
What do you do when you need a quick motivation boost? 
Who is someone that inspires you to work hard?

hey everyone!

@keeziek @xXLexi_Lou122Xx @Tiny_leaf @Puppies026 maybe you guys would like to join in
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

1. What are some of your favourite resources for studying and improving motivation?

For me I find I get really bored and unmotivated if im just constantly reading out of a text book or just making notes. changing it up and using flashcards or fun quizzes helps me to get abt more motivated.

@keezeik @Dyl maybe youd like to join in

1. What are some of your favourite resources for studying and improving motivation?

My favourite resources for studying include note-taking apps, to-do lists, calendars and diaries. There are also apps for preventing procrastination like Forest and FLIP. I also love listening to ambient sounds as I study. There are lots of websites and apps for this.

I like to set little rewards for myself after achieving my goals for the day. Sometimes, I plan fun activities to do after I finish the work I have to do.

My psychologist inspired me to work hard because she told me that I could achieve anything that I put my mind to and thought that I would do well in a psychology career or as an academic. She encouraged me to use my talents.