cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [GR] Routines

So true about how motivating it is to be accountable to someone or something @Asche Smiley Happy

Check out our community activities calendar for October 2019 here

How can we get into a good routine?

Having a plan and the self-discipline to carry it out when you don't feel like it. Putting the plan somewhere easily accessible - a lot of times I forget I have a schedule which doesn't really help! Also, allowing for flexibility - I struggle with this the most because I just want to follow a set routine and am not sure how to accommodate for things that unexpectedly come up. I guess I can be less 'black and white' about it and try to be okay with not being able to do everything in the schedule sometimes... Having a routine would be helpful to do things I want to do, and doing only some of those things is still better than not doing any at all (I've been feeling like this lately, feeling like I don't have much routine). 

@Jess-RO brought up a good point about motivation which helped me realise something - having set times for work/study and rest would be helpful because if you're having a tough time with the work/study part, it's good to know that there's an end time for it and that there's a set time for rest to look forward to!

What roadblocks/difficulties have you experienced while trying to get into a routine and how have you overcome them?

I haven't overcome them, but I've learned some tips from today

• Not feeling motivated to do it -> realising there will be an end time and time to rest later on
  • Not sure how to accommodate for unplanned events -> it's okay not to do everything on the schedule, prioritise the important things of those that are remaining for that day

5. What roadblocks/difficulties have you experienced while trying to get into a routine and how have you overcome them?

I think the biggest challenge for me has been not to "over routine". There was a time where I had nearly every hour of my day mapped out, and that wasn't a realistic goal. When anything threw my routine out of whack, I struggled to motivate to keep going. I think giving time for things that come up spontaneously is really important. Life can be unexpected at times, and I needed to adjust and become comfortable with change to my routine sometimes. While it felt uncomfortable at first, over time I felt more and more comfortable with loose structure as opposed to really rigid time frames for myself, which made routine more sustainable

5) What roadblocks/difficulties have you experienced while trying to get into a routine and how have you overcome them?

My main problem is with sticking to routines, I just have so much trouble staying on task! This especially happens when I am to get into a routine of studying for uni.

One thing I do that helps me with this is that I break things down into periods of work and rest. For example, when I first started doing this, I would work for 25 minutes distraction-free, without my phone and with my social media blocked with an extension on my laptop. After these 25 mins, I could have 5 minutes to do whatever I wanted, but after this I had to do another block of 25 mins! Now I still do exactly this, however with blocks of 50 minutes working with 10 minute breaks. I find it really useful to be able to stay on task and stick to a routine!

I agree with @cupcakes_032 I have learnt that even though I'm not motivated now, in the long run my body and brain will automatically start to do it once the routine is established and it won't feel like that much of an effort Smiley Happy

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

@gezellig I'll let you know when I do overcome them Smiley Wink

In the meantime, re: roadblocks - the two main ones I can think of off the top of my head are the remnants of bad habits, and stressors that disrupt your plans. It's really hard trying to sleep early, or even reasonably around 11-12 or so, when you're used to going to bed at 2am or later. Your body just doesn't feel tired at that time, and even when you do feel tired, you're so used to staying up that your brain still feels like it should be awake simply out of habit. So a lot of the time you just end up straining and powering through until your usual sleeping time, even if you're not doing anything productive in the meantime.

The other thing that tends to throw routines off are just stressors- which can really be anything from stuff like an impending exam/assignment deadline/work deadline to something like your car breaking down, or even just one-off events that end up intruding on your schedule (like a friend getting married, and you have to spend the entire week away with them helping out with planning and organization because you're part of the bridal/grooms party). Once you've broken the routine once or a couple of times, it can be harder to hop back on that bike again. Missed exercise in particular, can be hard to return to. "Never skip leg day" is a saying for a reason Smiley Sad 

@gezellig the pomodoro technique!! I completely forgot about that 

Rewarding concentration with times of rest is a great idea @gezellig and a good way to sustain routine and motivation! 

@gezelligthat's the pomorado technique! Smiley Happy I absolutely love yours and @Jess1-RO answers too! Smiley Very Happy

@cupcakes_032 you beat me to it! Smiley Tongue

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart