cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [GR]: Self Positivity! 21st October at 7:30pm AEDT

Who do you look up to for self-positivity?

[R] Probably for me, some of the other members of this system. A and T both commented today, and the two of them are usually quite confident in and positive towards themselves, and they've been positive influences on how I see myself now too. I'd also say that some of my friends on the outside have also been inspirational for me in accepting themselves and trying to be less negative.

The article @WheresMySquishy mentioned talks about how to challenge negative thoughts and I actually thought i'd summarise it for us on this thread, because it's a really good resource. It talks about 4 types of questions we can ask ourselves, in order to challenge what our brain is throwing at us, because often it's unrealistic or untrue Heart

There are four main types of challenging questions:

- Questions that act as a reality check

e.g. What is the evidence for and against my thinking?

- Questions that seek alternative explanations

e.g. If I were being positive, how would I perceive this situation?

- Questions that put things in perspective

e.g. Will this matter in five years’ time? (this is one i use all the time and it honestly helps me so much)

- Questions that are goal-directed
e.g. Is this way of thinking helping me to achieve my goals?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a SLOW-MO Getting Real chat to do with Generational Differences, starting on Monday the 11th of November! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

I've always looked up to fictional characters and found some great quotes and messages about self-positivity and not being too hard on yourself in fiction.
I also look up to people who have gone through difficult times. Everyone on ReachOut is so inspiring. I'm constantly in awe of everyone's strength and resilience. Seeing people find happiness despite experiencing some bad events has helped me realise that I can get through my own hardships.
Some celebrities have also gone through some really challenging times and still managed to achieve success too.

@ecla34  I also think about that particular question a lot!
Sometimes, failing can seem like the end of the world at the time, but it usually never ends up mattering in the long run. Thinking of the bigger picture can be so helpful.

Personally, I look up to fictional characters. 
I have two characters in mind that I can think of. First of which, is Rebecca Bunch from the T.V show 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend' The whole show practically surrounds the journey of this characters' mental health. And her journey towards finding self-love. It really destigmatizes getting help, and really convinced me to reach out for help if I need it. And taught me that despite our mistakes, we are still human. 

Second of which, is Garnet (Ruby and Sapphire) I identify as queer and in my journey of self-love I never really had a positive influence for the LGBTQIA+ community. All I ever heard about the LGBTQIA+ community was negative things. Which isn't great Smiley Sad when you're still trying to discover who you are. That was until, this show called Steven Universe came out and I started watching it. And turns out two of the main characters who identify with the same pronoun love each other so much. To the point that they join into one character, the physical embodiment of self love. It was the first show that I ever saw had a same-sex relationship on cartoon and even a same-sex wedding!! It really helped me be more positive towards my sexuality. Also, Garnet. Sings a song in the show that's practically about unwanted thoughts and negative thoughts and what to do if you have them. And in my personal opinion, going through what I'm going through having this visibility about these situations help me feel less alone in the world and to continue to fight for myself. <3

@WheresMySquishy and @ApplesRoses that's so cool that you've found such inspiration in fiction and media! Smiley Very Happy Heart

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a SLOW-MO Getting Real chat to do with Generational Differences, starting on Monday the 11th of November! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart
Highlighted

@ApplesRoses  I love Steven Universe too! I used to watch it with my sister all the time.
Garnet is such a good character. It's so great to have such a positive depiction of a same sex relationship in a cartoon. I like how their song emphasises how united they are as a couple and how they can get through anything together.

It's amazing to have all these characters in fiction and in media, to look up to and having them while growing up can leave such a positive influence on the young minds of society. And hopefully change the world to a more positive world <3

@ApplesRoses love that! Media exerts such a powerful influence on society, it's nice to think that some of it's positive and encouraging too! Heart

I think it's time to wrap up this discussion for tonight! I just wanted to thank you all for joining in on this chat Heart It's been a really helpful and informative GR and i've loved getting all of your insight and opinions! @Esperanza67 @May_ @WheresMySquishy @ApplesRoses @SomeoneNADJS @drpenguin you're all legends! Heart 

Everyone is more than welcome to keep chatting about this topic, and if you couldn't make it tonight no worries! I'd love to hear what you think tomorrow! Heart

Have a great night guys! Smiley Very Happy Heart

tired good night GIF by Disney

This was such a great chat! It was so helpful to me, especially because this is the time of year when people experience a lot of things happening with study and applying for courses. Heart

Thank you everyone for participating! Smiley Happy