cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Getting Real: C-E-L-E-B-R-A-T-E good times come on!!

@mischiefmanaged wrote:

3. Again, whether you did it this year or not, what was the most challenging thing about the HSC?
Dealing with depression. I was SO lucky to have a supportive school counsellor and teachers though. I spent a LOT of time in my school counsellor's office during year 11 and 12. And all of my teachers knew how unwell I was and most were EXTREMELY understanding.
Time management was also a problem. I had NO idea how to manage my time. Before year 11 and 12, I NEVER did homework because I always did my assignments in class and never needed to study because I could understand things really quickly. Then when I got to year 11, the workload increased massively and I couldn't just hear things once and get them instantly! I actually had to study which was such a foreign concept to me.

I'm reading this and nodding!

Especially with the time management. I'm glad I'm not the only one who got to year11 and 12 and was like "wait what is this study business?" LOL

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

@Rhelna - It doesn't matter how much you exercise. It is great you have discovered something to help with stress. After all everything is only good for you in moderation Smiley Happy

@mischiefmanaged wrote:
@DD, yep 2007! I wrote about the essence of life. I do remember being quite freaked out when I read the topic. Considering the years before had "time" or "discovery" or something... essence seemed so much harder!!! I really enjoyed short response and multiple choice though! I loved that we couldn't study for QCS though... Although my school did try to make us by giving us practice tests and all these weird experiences. QCS is overrated though.

Yeah I know, the practice ones we did were all so much easier. I wished we had discovery, that was a good topic I reckon. Yeah not being able to study for it was one of the things I liked most about it. We did the practice tests at my school too for like 3 months beforehand. Sooo boring! I agree it is overrated.

4. Any tips for surviving the FINAL year at school? What helped you?

I think the most important thing is that you must remember that.... in relation to the rest of your life, it's not really that big of a deal. Like, as much as what teachers make it seem.

FOR EXAMPLE: Get a shit ATAR and wanna go to uni? Who cares?! There are countless pathways and different ways to get into uni.

Going badly in the HSC is FAR from the end of the world.

and I didn't learn that until university.... where a lot ofpeople didn't even get a good ATAR

@Bee & @mischiefmanaged - what you are both talking about is how school teaches us valuable lessons and skills that we can transfer to other parts of our lives in the future! So there are positive to find amongst the negatives Smiley Happy

Lean on your friends when needed - you will need them. Don't push them away because of little petty things

Be open and honest as you can when friends, peers and even teachers ask how you're going. WHen they ask, they really do care and want to know and help support you. I learnt that the hard way!

Try to have things outside of school, don't let yourself be totally consumed amoungst it all - BIG MISTAKE! I found myself constantly feeling like there was no escape. It was like everywhere I turned there was HSC this HSC that. 

I think another thing is to pace yourself, know our strangths and weaknesses. If you manage your time effectively you can get through it without too much stress. Basically don't set yourself ridicously high expectations and goals, if you can't achieve them you're just going to watch yourself fail and then feel bad because of it...

Above all, communicate with those around you, remember that the final years are NOT the be all and end all, there is life afterwards, This will end soon and you don't want to be sitting at the end saying "I wish I had more fun" so yeah just really be mindful of your school commitments but also keep your social life Smiley Happy

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Next question everyone...

How did you feel when you finally finished school or if you haven't quite finished how do you imagine it will feel?

@Bee wrote:

Lean on your friends when needed - you will need them. Don't push them away because of little petty things

Be open and honest as you can when friends, peers and even teachers ask how you're going. WHen they ask, they really do care and want to know and help support you. I learnt that the hard way!

Try to have things outside of school, don't let yourself be totally consumed amoungst it all - BIG MISTAKE! I found myself constantly feeling like there was no escape. It was like everywhere I turned there was HSC this HSC that. 

I think another thing is to pace yourself, know our strangths and weaknesses. If you manage your time effectively you can get through it without too much stress. Basically don't set yourself ridicously high expectations and goals, if you can't achieve them you're just going to watch yourself fail and then feel bad because of it...

Above all, communicate with those around you, remember that the final years are NOT the be all and end all, there is life afterwards, This will end soon and you don't want to be sitting at the end saying "I wish I had more fun" so yeah just really be mindful of your school commitments but also keep your social life Smiley Happy

Great list Bee!! I agree with all of these, awesome tips Smiley Happy

How did you feel when you finally finished school or if you haven't quite finished how do you imagine it will feel?

Pretty much just relief, regret (because I knew I'd done badly), and foreboding (when thinking about getting my ATAR)

I was excited (about formal, schoolies and getting to have a looooong holiday!) but sad to leave my friends, teachers and familiarity and really scared of the change and what was ahead too.