cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happy holidays? Or is it?

Mod @LeaLea07  says "Personally I love this time of year. There is something jolly about the December air. Maybe this is because Christmas carols are playing in shopping areas, workplaces are decked out with Christmas decorations, and we are all making our wish list gifts. But does this mean the real meanings behind Christmas have been lost? I would say no. For many Christmas is a religious occasion, for others it is a time to spend with family. And for some it is about the season of giving. I think Christmas is what you make it and the meanings you associate with it.  Of course not all people celebrate Christmas or believe in the Christmas holidays. But there have been long standing Christmas traditions across Australia in many family homes."

While lots of people probably share Lea's view of the holiday season, and for lots of people it can be a time to appreciate freinds and family - it's probably worth acknowledging that sometimes this time of year can be extremely difficult.... 

* It could be that this holiday season is the first since you lost a loved one

* Maybe you are having difficulties with a family member and Xmas serves as a reminder how your family relationships aren't as happy as you'd like.

* Perhaps everyone is talking about Christmas all the time and it's just not something you connect with or believe in, and you're starting to feel isolated

* Or maybe it's the only time each year you have to see a family member that's upset, offended or hurt you in the past. How do you deal with that awkward lunch?

* Maybe you don't really have anyone to celebrate with, and it just makes you feel lonely?

* It could be hard because all your usual support organisations like the youth centre, health service, counsellor, psychologist etc are closed, so you are not sure who to turn to for help

* Perhaps your family's celebrations at this time are very religious - but that religion makes you feel excluded and shamed for your sexuality.

Basically, what Christmas is advertised as & the expectations around family, gift giving & religion many of us feel around this time of year can leave us feeling overwhelmed, stressed, anxious, sad & frustrated. Ironically, your family and friends may be the source of your holiday blues. 

So join us right here tonight at 8pm while we'll chat about the good, the bad the ugly of the holiday period.

Thanks to Twenty10 for their awesome Surviving Christmas zine, where some of the content above was sourced from. 

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Re: Happy holidays? Or is it?

Hello Hello!

Welcome to tonight's Getting Real session!!! Tonight myself and Sophie will be co-faciliating.

Tonight we are discussing whether the holiday season is happy? or not? Or maybe it is a mixture of both?

Everyone has different experiences and memories that are associated with the holiday season. Some are happy ones and others may remind us of a time we do not look forward to or enjoy. This can be for various reasons. Even you do not celebrate Christmas or believe in this holiday we all have something to learn about what this may be like. Everyone is welcome to contribute and share their thoughts on the holiday season.  

It should be a really great night and a perfect opportunity to discuss circumstances or situations associated with the holiday season.

As per usual, normal forum guidelines are still important, so have a read if you are not sure what you are allowed to post on these forums!

To start us off tonight:

What does this holiday period mean to you?

Hi everyone and welcome to the second last GR of the year!! Well for me, I guess it's a little bit stressful and sometimes all the consumerism bums me out! However I like spending time with family and friends and having time off work!! Smiley Wink

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

What abotu you Lealea?What does it mean to you?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Alittle like you Sophie I look forward to the holiday season for a much deserved break. Even if you have to get through thr crazy hype to enjoy the peace and quiet. I personally look forward to spending the holidays with people I love - friends, family etc. 

Hey everyone! I hope you're all having a great day!

Well, I see it as a time to spend with friends and family. Just to relax and have fun with the people you are closest to Smiley Happy

Hey,  hey guys. I hope you are all good this evening! 

What does this holiday period mean to you? Work. Working in retail is mad this time of year. It does mean lots of extra shifts though..... $$$$ yay!

Hey Rhelna - ahh i see a bit of a theme emerging!! time with the peeps we love...

dreamcatcher: oh wordy yes - i avoid the shops like crazy at this time of year. I don't know how you do it!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hi Rhelna and Dreamcatcher Smiley Happy thanks for joining us here tonight 

So everyone out there tonight we were wondering if you do not celebrate Christmas (or imagine if you didn't) do you think it would be difficult to be surrounded by the holiday? If so why?