cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Happy holidays? Or is it?

Hello all!

I love the Christmas period. I really enjoy thinking of meaningful gifts for my family and knowing I will be having holidays and time with them soon is making me happy.

Like dream catcher work is getting crazy, I work in hospitality and for some reason something about Christmas makes everyone want to catch up with friends for coffee and lunch: the money crunch can make people stressed too I find and busier days at the shops make a lot of customers more short/rude and are more likely to be disgruntled.

It is a busy time of the year and I'm finding myself a bit stressed with it all at the moment as I have little time for myself with a busy work roster, Uni summer semester happening and wanting to get organised for Christmas.

Overall I'm looking forward to the day and time with family, the lead up though can be loong Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Hey learntofly!Ohhh rude people at the shops sounds awful - I think that's why I avoid them. I think I would turn into that person. And I can totally relate with the stress of trying to fit everything before the end of the month/year

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

i think the stress of christmas reminds us of why it isnt always as magical as we think. It kind of makes me stop and think about what people think or experience that do not partake in this holiday. Do they experience the stress still when going to buy a bottle of milk? (due to the craziness) or do they experience a different kind of stress? Like isolation when people at school or work are dicussing their pre/post christmas celebrations. Or when people are discussing the gifts they received...

It would be very difficult to avoid and rather confronting that decorations and celebrations are everywhere. Socially it would cause issues with Work Christmas parties

@LeaLea07 wrote:

So everyone out there tonight we were wondering if you do not celebrate Christmas (or imagine if you didn't) do you think it would be difficult to be surrounded by the holiday? If so why?

So - I know from listening to others who don't celebrate it (and especially for children) it can be pretty hard to avoid all the xmas stuff and therefore could be really isolating... it's really hard to escape and if it's not something you connect with I imagine that this time of year would be annoying at best - and really painful at worst.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

thats a very good point learn to fly. Christmas is literally everywhere you look and listen. From the decorations as you mentioned or to christmas carols playing. I never even thought of christmas parties and how such a social occasion can exclude people... even if un intended.

Annoying and painful are probably good ways to sum up how some people may feel. It would be frustrating. 

However regardless of this we would like to hear What is your favourite holiday/Christmas memory?

So everyone out there tonight we were wondering if you do not celebrate Christmas (or imagine if you didn't) do you think it would be difficult to be surrounded by the holiday? If so why?

Because it's everywhere and inescapable! I'd imagine that those that had no one to share it with would have a hard time. Last Christmas I spent the afternoon alone, it was quite lonely.

My fav memory - which i don't really remember myself, but there is photographic evidence - is me (4yrs old) and my then 1 year old sister sitting on one santas knee each and I am sitting there very angelic and my sister is red in the face screaming with terror and the santa is having the biggest eye roll ever. so funny still to this day 30 years later!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

What is your favourite holiday/Christmas memory?

Hmmmm, that's a tough one...
I once bought wigs for my family and we all dressed up to look super ridiculous for the day! It was a lot of fun! Smiley Happy