cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am great. Yes I am.

"Success is achieved by developing our strengths, not by eliminating our weaknesses" Marilyn von Savant

It's easy to get preoccupied picking out our flaws and not focusing on the stuff we're good at, but every single person has a whole range of things about them that are great, and learning to recognise and harness these things can be a really useful step in overcoming our struggles and pwning at life.

We can’t all be good at EVERYTHING and we all have different strengths. It’s like the big man said “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” That big man was Albert Einstein and I don’t know about you but I’m pretty sure he was onto something. Rather than beat yourself up that you didn’t pass the maths test, concentrate on your strength and buy yourself an ice cream for acing the English test (I’m using my own strengths and weaknesses here, but yours may be different).

Learning to recognise the good things about ourselves helps us feel good - it's kind of like putting a magnifying glass on the positives, and minimising the effect of concentrating on the things we don't like so much about ourselves. 

Remember in kindy? Everyone was the fastest runner and the best speller and most amazing artist. What happens to that mentality? For some reason it’s not always easy to admit to ourselves that we are great at something (this is not your fault it’s societies). The fear that someone is going to turn around and throw an “allllright know it all” or “here comes the walking dictionary” at you, can stop you from admitting your strengths to others (and perhaps more importantly to yourself). Perhaps there is a lesson in this: when someone acknowledges a strength of theirs to you, try and accept it and don't throw it back in their face. 

If we all work hard at recognising the stuff we're good at, maybe those around us will feel more comfortable sharing their skills and excellent attributes.

We're gonna chat about some ways you can find the stuff you're good at this Monday at 8pm AEST. Join us, and feel free to check out this factsheet on working out your strengths before the night Smiley Happy

Re: I am great. Yes I am.

Hey everyone!

Welcome to tonight's GR session on recognising your strengths! I'll be co-facilitating with the lovely bethechange and Rosie. I'm really looking forward to this discussion, because I think you're all awesome, and I hope you guys realise that too! We'll be talking a bit about why it might be hard to acknowledge your strengths, what the benefits to acknowledge them might be, and how you can use your strengths in your everyday lives.

As always, remember to keep the conversation within the guidelines.

Let's get started!

To start us off, tell us three awesome strengths that you have!

Highlighted

1. To start us off, tell us three awesome strengths that you have!

- Excellent at critical analysis and written argument

- Great in new social settings

- Good at adapting to new situations, not resistant to change

Hmm, three strengths. I'd say my three strengths were:
- I am excellent at listening to others.

- I always manage to balance my tertiary studies and social life.

- When the situation calls for it, I am able to eat loads of food.

Nice one bethechange! I'm the complete opposite - it takes me a while to get comfortable in new environments or when things change.

@dtperry - thanks for joining! I bet that last one is useful Smiley Happy

Hi dtperry and welcome!

I like your strength of eating a lot if the situation calls for it Smiley Tongue

Hi all!

Tell us three awesome strengths that you have!

Aaah, starting us off on a hard one Gail! I think 3 strengths that I have would be that I'm persistent, I'm kind, and... um... I like helping others. That was hard!

Yay! Hey guys, I made it! I'm so excited for tonight. Smiley HappySmiley Happy

To start us off, tell us three awesome strengths that you have! 

- Creativity

- Honesty

- Zest

There are more though, looking through the list. List of 24 Strengths.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

To answer myself...

1. I'm pretty self-aware and good at looking after myself.

2. I'm a good listener.

3. I'm quite independent.

Helloooooo people!

Great topic. My strengths:

I'm pretty positive

I choosse EXCELLENT books to read

I'm compassionate.

(it's harder than I thought it would be, writing down good things about myself... but now that I've started I don't want to stop. I make great burritos, I'm pretty good at finding good stuff for cheap, I'm not bad at fixing things, and I am also pretty good at engaging with people and having chats)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.