cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I am great. Yes I am.

2. Do you find it easier to recognise other people's strengths than your own? Why do you think this might be?

I'm not too sure that I find them easier to recognise. I certainly think I find them easier to accept in other people.

I'm not sure why this is. I think when I start getting to sure of my own strengths, I can start worrying that I'm seeming self-obsorbed or something. Where as if I'm assuring one of my friends of a part of their greatness, I'm being a good person/friend.

2. Do you find it easier to recognise other people's strengths than your own? Why do you think this might be?

At times, I do recognise other people's strengths but I don't find it easier, I'm terrible at reading people. That's why I think that I find it easier to recognise my own strengths. I'm not very good at understanding people, even my friends at times.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

@bethechange wrote:

Do you find it easier to recognise other people's strengths than your own? Why do you think this might be?

I definitely find it easier to point out other peoples' strengths than my own... I think it's partly because we're taught not to boast or brag, partly because I'm worried I'll be wrong and someone will tell me that I don't have those qualities, partly being scared of being the one to stand up and say positive things about myself... 

I'm loving reading about everyone's strengths!

@gail: Aw, thanks Smiley Embarassed Smiley Happy

Do you find it easier to recognise other people's strengths than your own? Why do you think this might be?

For sure. I think it's because I see focusing on my own strengths as being a bit 'up myself'. I don't know why. I think it might be a cultural thing? I also have low self-esteem so I think it's related to that also.

@Birdeye wrote:

I'm not too sure that I find them easier to recognise. I certainly think I find them easier to accept in other people.

This is a really good point. I think I agree with you on that.

@Rosie-RO wrote:

I think it's because we are always afraid someone will put us in our place, or prove us wrong. I hate the idea that someone might squash my confidence.

Yeah I'd definitely agree with this Rosie.

Definitely. I think it's very easy to view one's own self in a negative way and view others in a much more positive light. I suppose reasons for this could include a lack of confidence, self-motivation or drive.

Highlighted

@Birdeye, I would tend to agree, I think if I focus on my own strengths I feel a bit self-absorbed - and it's just easier to give friends complements on all the amazing things they do.

Maybe it's also because we assume other people have tried hard and succeeded, whereas we assume all our strengths are kind of flukes, or things you were born with. 

We also probably notice other people's strengths more because we can see them happening. Our own actions are a bit harder to take note of.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.

@bethechange I think the opposite, I mean, whenever I give my friends compliments they will always disagree with me. I still try but it's becoming a cycle. 

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!