cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I am great. Yes I am.

@Sagira I think that's an important distinction you've made there - it's the comparisons like "i am better" that come with the 'stuck-up' stamp. There's nothing wrong with identifying with the things you excel at.

4. Do you think being aware of your strengths is the same as being stuck up? Why/why not?

No, not at all.

There is a big difference between being aware of your strengths, and believing that you're strengths are all that you are.

I think if you're aware of/accept your strengths as well as your faults and just okays, then you're probably not stuck up. 

Highlighted

@Birdeye wrote:

Do you think being aware of your strengths is the same as being stuck up? Why/why not?

No, not at all.

There is a big difference between being aware of your strengths, and believing that you're strengths are all that you are.

I think if you're aware of/accept your strengths as well as your faults and just okays, then you're probably not stuck up. 

Ooh good point. Being balanced in awareness of your strengths/faults is really important.

@Bethechange: Thanks Smiley Happy

Do you think being aware of your strengths is the same as being stuck up? Why/why not?

I think everyone else has covered this one pretty well but I'll put in my 2 cents anyway. I don't think being aware of your strengths is being stuck up. Being stuck up is when you think you are better than others and look down on them, but being aware of your strengths is being aware, but not bragging about it or looking down at others.

Some really good points coming up guys! 

Apart from others judging you, what kinds of things do you think get in the way of being able to recognise your own strengths?

Apart from others judging you, what kinds of things do you think get in the way of being able to recognise your own strengths?

Not knowing what I'm looking for (sometimes I don't really know if something is a strength or just part of my personality or a behaviour... if that makes sense?), me judging myself and low self-esteem. They're the main ones I think.

Thanks Rosie Smiley Happy

I can recognise my own strengths pretty well, although I say I am bad at things to hear my friends tell me otherwise. 

I think a major one is the way we compare ourselves with other people. Often I've found that I compare myself to specific people who I percieve to be better so usually end up thinking that my strengths are nothing at all.

Lacking the confidence and conviction to say "I am good at ABC". Regardless of others explicitly judging us, I'm sure some social psychologists could explain how we take the "don't boast" mentality even within ourselves.

@Michine - thanks for joining us Smiley Happy Making comparisons to other people is a big one for me too - even if I think *I'm* okay at something, I can often lose that sense of accomplishment when I think about other people that are better at whatever it is than I am...