cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just can't cope.

Every day we have to cope with things - waking up with no milk, missing the bus, failing an exam, or meeting someone you want to spend your life with, and discovering they're already taken.  Coping strategies are the things we put in place to manage the issues that come up. There are two kinds of coping strategies, positive and negative. 

Negative coping strategies are the kinds of things a rockstar who has fallen off the tracks might do: self medicating with alcohol and other drugs, getting violent and angry, speaking negatively about themselves and others, and throwing expesive guitars across the room. 

Negative coping strategies can also include things like not addressing as issue that is causing you distress, self injury, comfort eating, bottling up emotions and not talking to people, or acting like someone you are not.

Ultimately, these things are temporary solutions to bigger problems, and they can often make the issues worse, and can lead to more negative thinking and not feeling good.

On Monday 11th at 8PM AEST, we are going to chat about turning these negative coping strategies around, and embracing more positive ones. By the end of the night, you should walk away with a list of positive coping techniques that will help you deal with the issues that come your way.

BE THERE!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.

Re: I just can't cope.

Hey all! Welcome to tonight's GR session on Coping Strategies.

We'll be looking at why we might need them, what they might be (without going against guidelines) and how to find and keep positive strategies.

Tonight's session will be dtperry, Lightuptheworld and Rosie.

If tonight's discussion makes you triggered or upset in anyway it's important to talk to someone whether that's a friend, family member or Lifeline. Also, so everyone can get the most out of tonight's discussion please stick to the guidelines.

To start us off:

What are some of the things you like to do when you feel like you aren't coping with life? (anything and everything! Name them all! (but please remember the guidelines))

Good evening all! 

What are some of the things you like to do when you feel like you aren't coping with life?

music, talking to friends, watch tv, movies, art, shopping, write, anything distracting really 

Welcome graphiqual! 

Awesome list of distractions! Which one would you say you turn to most often? 

Exerciseeeee!! And lots of craft.

@lightuptheworld - why thankyou! Smiley Very Happy I'd say music would be top of my list, and friends if i'm feeling a lot worse than usual

What are some of the things you like to do when you feel like you aren't coping with life?

Listen to music, watch TV, stay home and avoid things, talk to family and friends about it, write, ask for help, figure out what the issue is and try to fix it, have some alone time, have a nice hot bath...

Welcome Sagira! Smiley Happy 

What type of craft do you like to do?

Hey delicatedreamer! Thanks for joining us! 

That's quite a list of strategies! What's your favourite way to spend alone/ 'me' time? 

@graphiqual wrote:
@Lightuptheworld - why thankyou! Smiley Very Happy I'd say music would be top of my list, and friends if i'm feeling a lot worse than usual

Do you have any favourite cheer up songs?