cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4th Q

It has been fascinating reading the responses to these questions. We're just over halfway through the session, can't wait to see the rest of what we can all find out and share, together. For the next question, we're looking into the "good" coping strategies that were discussed in the previous question.

What are some examples of 'good' ways of coping with stuff? What's worked for you in the past?

Re: I just can't cope.

What are some examples of situations that make you feel like screaming "I JUST CAN'T COPE!"

For me it’s anything that has enormous pressure on it or pressure that has built up over time. Think exams! I struggle so much!

Is there a difference between a 'good' thing to do when you're not coping and a 'bad' one? How do you decide if a coping technique is good or bad?

There is a difference between good and bad coping techniques. I think a good copping technique will take your mind away from the negatives of the situation and allow you to move onto something else which doesn’t make you feel like screaming. And a bad coping technique would be one that continually allows or forces you to only see the negatives or that keeps you wound up over the current situation.

*Sorry I'm in and out, tonight... I'm doing my best to keep up Smiley Happy

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Re: 4th Q

Definitely things that help me process what I've been going through, instead of just avoiding it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.

What are some examples of 'good' ways of coping with stuff? What's worked for you in the past?

Writing about what I'm thinking or going through has helped a lot to get my thoughts together and figure out a good way to move forward. I've found that writing also sometimes helps me to think more rationally and to dispel the negative self talk, because it's kind of like talking to myself as though I'm another person, if that makes sense. 

Talking to friends has also helped me cope with stuff. I like distraction methods as well because getting away from whatevers bothering me for a while, and coming back to it later can help me see it from a different perspective, and then approach it in a more positive way. 

Re: I just can't cope

dtperry wrote:

Things that allows you to deal with the issue and the connected emotions in a healthy way. For example having a D and M with a friend, crying, writing, going for a run or walk, singing, baking, etc. 

I like to listen to music, watch TV or movies, cry, etc. 

I posted this in a thread the other day, but I think it's really approriate to this discussion tonight.

On Friday afternoon, saturday, sunday I wasn't in a good place at all.  So I sat down and started making myself a 'coping bank'.  Basically it's a correlation of loads of different things that help me to cope and that I like doing.  Though when I'm distressed I forget about it all and tend to wallow in it for a lot longer then I should.

This is a few of the things I have in mine.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/73c592d98589cff8e097fa7ecc4c2708/tumblr_mje17ple6Z1qgs775o1_500.jpg
Along with things such as telling my stuffed bear Morris all of my problems!  After tonights discussion I'm going to throw 'watch cat videos' in there as well.

I've already used it and I think it's what I needed to do for myself.

How it works:
http://www.something-fishy.org/reach/copingbank.php

Good examples, writting in a journal, talking to a friend, playing mahjong or suduko
I found that if I'm thinking of self-harm, lying on the floor of my room - where I can't reach anything sharp can help me get the thought out of my mind... I just take my laptop or pens and paper and away I go to leaving the thought behind

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Re: I just can't cope

@_sagira_ wrote:

I posted this in a thread the other day, but I think it's really approriate to this discussion tonight.

On Friday afternoon, saturday, sunday I wasn't in a good place at all.  So I sat down and started making myself a 'coping bank'.  Basically it's a correlation of loads of different things that help me to cope and that I like doing.  Though when I'm distressed I forget about it all and tend to wallow in it for a lot longer then I should.

This is a few of the things I have in mine.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/73c592d98589cff8e097fa7ecc4c2708/tumblr_mje17ple6Z1qgs775o1_500.jpg
Along with things such as telling my stuffed bear Morris all of my problems!  After tonights discussion I'm going to throw 'watch cat videos' in there as well.

I've already used it and I think it's what I needed to do for myself.

How it works:
http://www.something-fishy.org/reach/copingbank.php

Cool idea sagira! Thanks for sharing! Smiley Very Happy 

@graphiqual wrote:

Writing about what I'm thinking or going through has helped a lot to get my thoughts together and figure out a good way to move forward. I've found that writing also sometimes helps me to think more rationally and to dispel the negative self talk, because it's kind of like talking to myself as though I'm another person, if that makes sense. 

Totally agree graphiqual. Writing definitely helps me to take a step back from things.

For me: Writing (for the reasons mentioned by graphiqual), talking to others (because talking things through with others can help me see things differently and get some advice), listening to music (it's a good distraction), getting help (because it's a productive way of dealing with things), something creative - like painting and playing music (because it is a good distraction and helps to release emotions).

Re: I just can't cope.

Talking about it with someone and distracting yourself (by exercise, being creative, reading, singing, etc) are definitely on the top of my great and wonderful ways of coping with crappy feels.