cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I just can't cope

Hey there everyone, some great discussion going on this evening Smiley Happy

How do you feel after you use these 'good 'strategies'? How do you know they are working?

After using positive coping strategies, I think you know it's going better because you're in control. That personal control is a massive motivator for sticking on the right path wih a good strategy and kicking poor coping strategies to the curb! I think you'll know it's working because you'll start to see how it's positively effecting your life too.

@Alpha73 wrote:
I have never joined a forum before, I've learnt some things tonight which I am going to use... and hope to improve the pain... thank you for sharing with me and others ... i certainly appreciate it

That's so great that you have practical ideas that you can take away from this Alpha!  Maybe we will see you around more!?

@Alpha73 wrote:
I have never joined a forum before, I've learnt some things tonight which I am going to use... and hope to improve the pain... thank you for sharing with me and others ... i certainly appreciate it

Glad to hear you've gotten a lot out of tonight's discussion Alpha! Smiley Very Happy 

It sounds like many of us have found tonight's discussion helpful in some way. So, what will you take away from tonight's session?

Re: I just can't cope.

How do you feel after you use these 'good 'strategies'? How do you know they are working?

If I am doing 'good' coping strategies with the purpose of NOT doing a 'bad' one (say... if I was writing about how I feel instead of drinking a lot... like doing a 'good' one because you don't want to 'give in' to the 'bad'.... does that make sense?) makes me, personally, feel amazing, like I've conquered some massive challenge. 

Otherwise, 'good' strategies may not be as effective as the 'bad' (sometimes they are, though!!) but they DO make me feel better.

I guess if you feel less crappy, you know that they've worked.

So, what will you take away from tonight's session?

I think I'm gonna go watch some cat videos Smiley Very Happy

All the good coping strats that have been suggested. There's been so many great ones. Good night all! Thanks to Rosie, dtperry and LUTW for facilitating the discussion tonight Smiley Happy

Re: I just can't cope.

Definelty going to try other people's suggestions next time I feel overwhelmed! I'm always up for trying new and better ways of dealing (also, I might share the ideas with people I live with!)

Summary

Thanks to everyone who participated for another great Getting Real session!

For those who missed it or those who wouldn’t mind a quick recap, here is a summary of tonight’s session:

When it came to things people liked to do when they just weren’t coping with life, many different examples were given: listening to / playing music, eating, exercising, sleeping, socializing with friends and family, spending time alone, watching TV, writing a diary and of course, shopping.

The idea that it can be better to just let yourself be emotional was brought up: let the tears out, hug the family pet and generally give yourself permission to be sad for a while.

The situations these coping strategies would be used in ranged from having a headache and wearing ill-fitting shoes to lack of sleep, health issues, pressures from family, school or loved ones. Having to worry about other people was also noted, not to mention the times when it feels like our friends are letting us down.

It seems that what seperates a good coping strategy from a bad coping strategy is whether something helps or hinders your mental or physical state. A bad coping strategy would have a negative long-term effect, for example, using alchohol to unwind may eventually become an addiction and just another problem to deal with. A good coping strategy has the ability to empower the person.

Examples of good coping strategies include anything that “processes” the situation rather than avoiding it,  this could mean writing about the situation or talking to friends about what’s going on. Being creative by playing music or painting was also said to be helpful as a way to “release” the emotions.

In thinking about what we feel when we know a coping strategy is working, it came down to whether an increase in calmness or a decrease in stress is apparent. If the person felt more able to “take on” the world after employing his or her coping strategy, then it was considered a success.

Thanks again everyone for a great session!

@graphiqual wrote:

I think I'm gonna go watch some cat videos Smiley Very Happy

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!