cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I'm feeling crap and there is nothing you can do about it

We all have crappy days, but how we do know when what we are feeling is depression, and not just a crappy day or week?

I think in the past, a crappy day can be improved by going to sleep and waking up feeling better. Depression - not so much. The blues kinda go into the next day.

I guess it's good to remember too that if you suspect that it's maybe something more than everyday sadness then it's likely you are going to need help to get through it - so reach out for help as soon as you can

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Ok, so we discussed the difference between a crappy day and depression. What are some of the symptoms of depression that you think you might notice in a friend (or in yourself)? We'd love to hear personal stories if you have them!

We all have crappy days, but how we do know when what we are feeling is depression, and not just a crappy day or week?

The others have given some great responses! And I totally agree with what they have said. I guess for me, I knew it wasn't just a crappy day when my mood started impacting on every aspect of my life, I started avoiding going out with friends, I lost motivation and concentration, my eating and sleeping patterns changed... etc. I was totally consumed by this "dark" feeling. I often described it as feeling as though I was standing underneath a rain cloud all the time! My world even LOOKED darker. 

A crappy day (or week) passes and we are still able to laugh and do the things we enjoy doing. Depression makes that MUCH harder and when it gets really bad, it's virtually impossible to do the things we used to like doing (and they don't even seem as though they'd be fun anymore!).

It can definitely be a hard distinction to make, but as Sophie said, if you THINK it's something more, it's better to talk to someone earlier rather than later - if it's not depression, then that's great! But if it is, it is better caught earlier!

Totally agree MM. I know when I am down, the world looked black and white. When I am feeling better, the colour in my world seemed brighter.

We have some pretty good resources on RO about symptoms. Some of the ones on this factsheet (http://au.reachout.com/All-about-feeling-crap) are:
withdraw
lash out
cry or become emotional
lose interest in activities
have changed sleeping patterns
have a changed appetite.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Good points Sophie

What are some of the symptoms of depression that you think you might notice in a friend (or in yourself)? We'd love to hear personal stories if you have them!

I think for me is when I was told by different teachers to go and see the school counsellor. I brushed it off for months until I realised I couldnt cope anymore and I walked in to see the counsellor on my own free will. I put "the ability to do well in school and get help" before "I believe I could really manage the blues on my own". It was a tough choice, but it was the right one.  

Great example Doris

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Geez, it is quiet here tonight. Just us 3 faciliators. Where is everyone?

Moving on. How might you approach someone you care about if you're concerned that they're experiencing depression? What kinds of things would you say or not say?