cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I'm feeling crap and there is nothing you can do about it

What are the types of things we can do every day to promote good mental health?

- Give other people compliments and generally be nice to them.

- Take notice of when you start feeling different to usual. 

- Know that it's okay to talk to someone and okay to express your feelings. You're allowed to cry.

- Try to find positives in the day.

- Look after your general health. 

- Don't force yourself to do things that you know are going to be hurtful or overwhelming. If something you're doing is too overwhelming try getting away from it. Such as if an assignment is too much for you to handle right now, talk to your teacher about it rather than avoiding it or forcing yourself to continue in it.

- Find things that you enjoy and set time aside for them.

- Set time aside for yourself.

For our final question tonight (thanks so much for participating guys!!):

It's been a bit of a heavy topic tonight, so to close things off, we'd like you to tell us three things you do/could do to help yourself when you're feeling low. Be as creative as you can!

"- Give other people compliments and generally be nice to them." such a good one! Nice one @Birdeye !!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

It's been a bit of a heavy topic tonight, so to close things off, we'd like you to tell us three things you do/could do to help yourself when you're feeling low. Be as creative as you can!

Sing and Dance around your room like NO ONE is watching Smiley Tongue

Draw/Paint/Playdough

Bend bobbie pins / wire around in wierd shapes (amazingly this helps me a lot! Poor bobbie pins Smiley Tongue)

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

• Grab a cuppa
  • do some stretches and dance/ sing to some music
  • call someone if i need to later tonight

@Bee wrote:
Sing and Dance around your room like NO ONE is watching Smiley Tongue

This is also one of my favs!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Baahahah. Bee. I would totally do that with my bobby pins, if I could EVER find any!!!! I always seem to lose mine!!!

1. Paint my nails as strawberries (I've been wanting to do this for ages).

2. Find the old CD that I used to listen to when I was younger and see if I can recreate the dance I made up!

3. Colour in. I miss colouring in. I don't get time anymore. Smiley Sad

bath
read a book
watch a youtube clip that makes me laugh!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Well thanks everyone for tonight! It's been an important chat but please do remember some of the self-care tips we've just talked about.....

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Thanks for the awesome discussion tonight

1. What is one way you are going to look after yourself throughout this discussion?

Do something to distract yourself e.g. take a bath, listen to music, play with your pets, simply read the comments and not necessarily reply (if you are not ready).

2. How we do know when what we are feeling is depression, and not just a crappy day or week?

Usually when the blues last for 2 weeks and it is starting to affect other aspects of your life. Also when the things you used to enjoy is not as fun anymore and taking a negative outlook on life.

3. What are some of the symptoms of depression you might notice in depression?

Stuff you may noticed in a person are changes like lose interest in activities, changed sleep routine and appetite, being withdrawn, looking in the dumps.  

4. How might you approach someone if you're concerned that they're experiencing depression?

Approach the person with an open mind and not be judgemental. Keep your questions simple like “Hey, I am seeing you are struggling a bit. Are you ok?” and letting them know you are here to listen and talk.

Start slow and don’t push them if they aren’t ready to answer. Come back and check on them at a later date. It is important to not belittle what a person is going through, because feeling down is tough.

5. What are some ways to dealing with those hard feelings?

Distract yourself with music, art, talking to a friend online or over the phone on the latest Hollywood gossip. If you feel it is getting too much, try seeking professional help. This can be in the form of a helpline (e.g. Kids Helpline/ Lifeline) or online chat (e.g. eheadspace). Other times, it is worth to build on a support network of friends and family.

Check out http://au.reachout.com/Key-services-for-help-with-depression for some help services out there.

6. Who could you talk to about depression?

• Professional help like KHL, eheadspace, psychologist and GP etc.
  • Friends who you feel comfortable talking to.  

7. What are the types of things we can do every day to promote good mental health?

Simple practical things like:

• Eat, sleep, drink regularly,
  • Make a creative piece of artwork like colouring-in,  
  • Take things one step at a time, live one day at a time (i.e. don’t think about your chores due on Saturday)
  • Positive self-talk and focusing on the positives in your day
  • Talk to someone when it gets too overwhelming
  • Hug someone! 

8. Tell us three things you do/could do to help yourself when you're feeling low.

• Sing and dance to some tunes (<= due to popular demand)
  • Draw/ paint/ playdough/ colour-in
  • Call a helpline

Special shout out to: Birdeye, Bee, Tree and littlebear for participating in tonight’s GR.

Also to MM and Sophie for co-faciliating.

If you are feeling distressed after tonight’s GR, try and utilise some self-help skills we’ve discussed. Or try one point from this factsheet

If none of these work, don’t hesitate to give KHL (1800 55 1800) or Lifeline (13 11 14) a call.

Remember what goes down must come up. It will get better. Hang in there! Smiley Happy