cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm feeling crap and there is nothing you can do about it

Right? Maybe not.

Feeling crap. We all have times when everything just feels really horrible. Like the world has, for some reason, decided to turn on us and make us feel awful. It's completely normal to have days like that - but it's when that crappy feeling sticks around and starts interfering with our everyday lives that it can turn into a serious problem.

There's loads of different names for it, but the reality is that even though depression is incredibly common, lots of people struggle to recognise it in themselves or others, and to know what they can do about it. It can feel pretty confronting when you or someone you know finds themselves stuck in depression, and it's easy to start to feel overwhelmed by what is going on.

So, this Monday 19th August during Getting Real, we're going to talk all about what depression is, how to recognise it in yourself or your friends, and most importantly, what you can do to prevent things getting to that point. We will also discuss what you can do to help yourself, your family or your friends. Whether you've experienced/are experiencing depression and have some tips on what has worked for you, you've known someone who has been through depression, or you don't know anything about depression at all - come join the conversation and share your thoughts.

If you get a chance before the discussion, check out some of these factsheets to get a bit of an idea about what depression is and how to tackle it. There's also a great story from a young person about overcoming depression, which is definitely worth a read.

All about feeling crap - http://au.reachout.com/All-about-feeling-crap
Depression - http://au.reachout.com/Depression
21 tips for when you're depressed - http://au.reachout.com/21-tips
Self help for managing depression - http://au.reachout.com/Self-help-strategies-to-overcome-depression
Building better coping skills - http://au.reachout.com/Building-better-coping-skills
Beating this negativity - http://au.reachout.com/Beating-this-negativity

It's important to recognise that for some people, talking about depression can be a sensitive topic. Please keep in mind that GettingReal is a discussion session - so if you want to ask for personal advice, the Getting Help section is probably a better place to post. We try to keep the forums a safe place for everyone, so remember to stick within the guidelines when posting. Also, as always, if you find yourself getting upset or bothered by anything that goes on in the conversation, we ask you to look after yourself and contact one of the services in the 'emergency help and info' tab up the top of the ReachOut page if you need to talk to someone. 

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Re: I'm feeling crap and there is nothing you can do about it

Hey guys!

Welcome to tonight's GR session on DEPRESSION co-facilitated by myself and Doris. Depression is a topic which we talk about frequently on the forums as it is one of the most prevalent mental health problems in Australia, especially amongst young people. Tonight we are going to be specifically discussing how to recognise the symptoms, how to cope with the symptoms and how to help a friend, as well as how we can help ourselves by doing small, practical things every day. 

We understand that for many of us here tonight, this topic might be a bit full on. We encourage you to share your own personal stories but it is important that you recognise your boundaries and understand that if it's getting too much for you, it's totally fine to leave.  The discussion will still be here tomorrow for you to read! It's also equally important to understand that ReachOut.com is NOT a counselling service, if you think you are suffering from depression and you need some help, we can provide you with some great resources to get the help you need, but we can NOT provide 1-on-1 counselling. 

Some of the helplines which are available right now which you can call to discuss anything to do with this topic (or anything else) include:

Kids Help Line - 1800 551 800

Life Line - 13 11 14

Beyond Blue - 1300 224 636

Also check out the factsheet for more info.

So lets make sure we have a productive conversation tonight as I'm sure we have a lot to learn from one another!

To start off with: We know that talking about this stuff can be upsetting for some people. What is one way you are going to look after yourself throughout this discussion?

Talking to parents about depression

Just wondering how to talk to parents about depression and getting help, and how they often react? thanks

Hey everyone!

Yea, I totally agree it could be tricky for some of us tonight. I'm going to pay attention to how I react to what I read, and plan to talk to a friend if i notice I have a strong reaction to anything I read. I'm also planning to have a anti-stress bath afterwards!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

We know that talking about this stuff can be upsetting for some people. What is one way you are going to look after yourself throughout this discussion?

I am going to open a few tabs (incl facebook, youtube) to distract myself when it gets a bit overwhelming. I will also plug in some music and grab a cuppa.

How are you going to look after yourselves?

Welcome littlebear,

This is a GREAT question and one that many young people struggle with! Telling parents can be SO hard, we don't want them to worry and have NO idea how they will react. Most people I know who have had depression at a young age and have told their parents have had very positive experiences. In many cases, their parents already had an inkling something wasn't quite right. They might be a bit upset, shocked and concerned initially and might become a bit overprotective (cue: asking if you are okay every 5 minutes!) but it's only because they care and they want to help. It's important for you to tell them what you want from them - everyone is different. For me, I wanted my mum to treat me just the same as before! I didn't want to be given "special treatment" and I didn't want it to be awkward between us. It took a while but we got there. Smiley Happy

As for how to actually tell them, I took the "easy" way out and got my school counsellor to tell my mum, but others I know have written their parents a letter or email. It can be REALLY, REALLY tough but in the long term, I honestly think it's so much better to let your parents know what is going on. They can help you get the help you need.

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy If anyone else has anything add about their own experience, feel free to add it here! Smiley Happy

That's a really good question little bear, it can be really worrying to think about how to talk to parents... Their reaction will totally be based on what your parents are like, but I think a lot of young people like you are surprised and how supportive their parents are when they open up... 

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

We know that talking about this stuff can be upsetting for some people. What is one way you are going to look after yourself throughout this discussion?

I have my beautiful doggie sitting nearby (snoring his head off currently), but if I'm feeling overwhelmed he is going to get a nice big hug!!! Smiley Very Happy I also am an expert at finding funny dog/cat pictures on the internet to bring a smile to my face! Smiley Very Happy

Also there are some GREAT games in this thread. Smiley Very Happy

Keep those self-care tips coming!! Remember to take care of yourselves tonight, guys!

For our next Q:

We all have crappy days, but how we do know when what we are feeling is depression, and not just a crappy day or week?

mischiefmanaged wrote:

We all have crappy days, but how we do know when what we are feeling is depression, and not just a crappy day or week?

That's a hard one... A lot of things you read point to a period of time... that if the feeling lasts a few weeks, but I think there are other factors to notice too, like if the sadness is impacting on other aspects of your life - like your ability to go to school or work or your motivation to see your friends/family...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com