cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I'm feeling crap and there is nothing you can do about it

Sorry I'm Lates guys! Major catch up here Smiley Tongue (IN true Bee style Smiley Tongue LOL)

We know that talking about this stuff can be upsetting for some people. What is one way you are going to look after yourself throughout this discussion?

I'm listening to some music and keeping my mind busy with school stuff. Smiley Happy I'll drop off if it gets too much Smiley Happy

We all have crappy days, but how we do know when what we are feeling is depression, and not just a crappy day or week?

I think that Depression can be much worse than just a crappy day or week. For instance with a crappy week, you can (most of the time) identify why you're feeling blergh, where as with Depression it can be a lot harder to say what is making you feel that way. I think it also comes down to the factors, time and how bad you feel.

What are some of the symptoms of depression that you think you might notice in a friend (or in yourself)? We'd love to hear personal stories if you have them!

(Ohhh, this one cuts a bit.)

How might you approach someone you care about if you're concerned that they're experiencing depression? What kinds of things would you say or not say?

I think you've got to be weary of how the person will react and have got to respond in a gentle manner. When I saw the old school counsellor she had used subtle hints and words, she never actually said the word (depression) straight out, but I know that if she had it would have been it for me, it would have just rocked the boat too much, and I think she knew that.

I think letting the person know that when they are ready to talk you will be there to listen and help. I had a teacher do this recently, she'd seen me at a bad state and everytime she saw me for the 3-4 days she was asking how I was, and kept telling me that she was there when I was ready to talk. Since then I managed to go and talk to her when I was heading into the same state she found me in originally. I was proud of that Smiley Happy

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Doris wrote:

Depression can get very serious, very quickly. What do you think are some ways to prevent things from getting to that point? What has worked for you or friends? 

I think making the step to "formal" help - whether its a GP, counsellor, phoneline, webchat etc. That sort of help is a very important part of help for clinical depression, though other tools and help from friends/family is important too

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hey Bee! great you made it... good point about sadness being for a reason - but with depression there is no specific reason for feeling sad.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Oh and Bee, sorry if that question was a bit too close to home for you! Totally glad you decided to skip it. Take care of you

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hey Bee!

Welcome to the discussion. Well done on the mega catch up! Smiley Happy

Definitely agree with your point about KNOWING why you are feeling crap when having a crappy day, but not knowing with depression.

The word "depression" definitely does have a lot of stigma attached and it can be REALLY hard to admit to ourselves or anyone else that what we are struggling with might be depression. My school counsellor was also the same - didn't use the word depression straight away, then one day she mentioned it but made sure she emphasized that help WAS available and I could get through it with the right support.

Thanks for your thoughts. Smiley Happy

Depression can get very serious, very quickly. What do you think are some ways to prevent things from getting to that point? What has worked for you or friends? 

Hmm. I think if you're not feeling like talking to someone, I put on music and sing, I play cards or a flash game, I might read - escape to a new world so to speak.

A teacher told me recently, sometimes when we are so distressed talking can only make things worse, so we need ot calm down before trying to talk. Somehting to think about if we're really razed up and upset

Otherwise talking it through can help.

Definitely agree with getting formal help asap, but I also know that for me I don't suffer from depression ALL the time now, I just have periods of depression and I am able to recognize the symptoms and understand that at those times, I need to take better care of myself so I don't reach that "serious" point. During those times I make sure I take more time out for myself and do the things that make me happy. I also do some of the more practical things like eating healthier, exercising more and having a stricter sleeping pattern. I also make sure I let my psychiatrist know as soon as I realize things are going a bit pear-shaped so that he can keep an eye on me to make sure I'm not getting too deep into depression again. 

Seems as though many of us realize that talking to professionals can be really beneficial when dealing with depression, this links in nicely with our next question:

Who could you talk to about depression? What kinds of help are available?

I really don't know with this one. It's important to not let it stay inside of you, to find someone to let it all out to. Having a support group and safe people/places/objects can be tremendous help.

I think when you start taking steps to make changes too. Whether this be proffessional help or identifying some of the things you're really unhappy with and starting to change them (in good, healthy ways).

Sophie, it's ok. That's why I just didn't write anything. I felt it was better to not try to attempt it incase it then became a trigger. Trying to look after myself right now. Have been super stressed recently, so I'm glad I've been able to contribute tonight Smiley Happy I haven't for a while, which kidn of sucks. But I'm here tonight Smiley Happy

MM: Thanks.
Yeah, I miss talking to her. Saddly though she's no longer in that position. Which is a bummer, but I'm getting through. I've found other means right now that work for me Smiley Happy