cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I will survive

When an unhealthy relationship comes to an end, chances are that the break-up is not going to be easy. Some warning signs of an unhealthy relationship could be that you often feel insecure, sad or scared– like you have to walk on egg shells around your partner. You might rarely say what’s on your mind because you're afraid of how they'll react. These feelings are not good signs, but a lot of people in unhealthy relationships find it hard to see just how bad things are.

Until it’s over, that is. Once an unhealthy relationship is finally over - sometimes the unhealthy behaviour continues and the break up can get messy. Unhealthy relationships that end badly can result in anger, resentment, and negativity which can make your ex someone that makes you feel uncomfortable or unsafe. Some people have experienced this themselves or seen it happen to friends, neighbours, family or colleagues. If it’s not resolved, it can escalate to something more serious and damaging.

Unhealthy relationships can even be with siblings, schoolmates, your best friend or any other family or friend. The relationships you have should support you, make you happy, enrich your life, and leave you feeling optimistic.

There are so many people who have experienced unhealthy relationships – with a partner, friend or relative – but when the relationship ends you are sometimes left to deal with an ex that just won’t walk away. An ex can lead you back into an unhealthy relationship by using physical, emotional or verbal abuse. Stalking online and offline can make you feel like you have no choice but to go back. However, this behaviour is illegal and there is a lot of support out there that can help you move past an unhealthy relationship.

Come join us right here this Monday 12th November at 8pm AEDT, we will talk about how to move past an unhealthy relationship with your ex and tips on how to deal with an ex. We will also share experiences and tips so bring your friends and get involved.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Re: I will survive

Welcome everyone to our GR session tonight

We will be discussing unhealthy relationships and the amazing facilitators are Sophie, Cheekyone and myself. Tonight we are going to be talking about the experiences we have had with unhealthy relationships, how they can affect us negatively and what we can do to develop healthy relationships from friends, partners and any relationship we form with others.

If you feel upset at all during the discussion remember that there are people you can talk to. See the emergency Help tab in the top right corner of this page (the yellow one). Also keep the Community Guidelines in mind so that we can keep the discussion on track and useful for everyone. 

We will close the forum at the end of the discussion but if you have any unanswered queries please contact the RO crew on crew@reachout.com or follow these links.

So to start u off...                      

What is the difference between a healthy and unhealthy relationship?

Hey all... well I guess for me a healthy relationship is one where each person seems like an equal partner and feels totally respected. The biggest vthing that identifies an unhealthy relationship for me is when one person feels afriad of the other. If you 'walk on eggshells' or are afriad to say exactly on your mind because you don't want your partner to react -then that's not a good sign.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

What is the difference between a healthy and unhealthy relationship?

A healthy relationship is where you can be who you want to be, you can go out and see friends and family and be happy no having to worry every minute.

Unhealthy Relationships is where you feel like you can't be yourself, being controlled, not allowed to go out, being asked where you are all the time, could be getting hurt etc.

Highlighted

Next Question

Have you ever known someone in an unhealthy relationship? How did you feel about the relationship?

Highlighted

i've known lots of people in unhealthy relationships unfortunately. Sometimes from the outside it's just so hard to understand why they put up with it. It take constant work to remind yourself of the dynamics on an unhealthy relationship - where the person feels powerless to leave or the cycle where they really beleive that 'this time was the last time'...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Have you ever known someone in an unhealthy relationship? How did you feel about the relationship?

I have known many friends in unhealthy relationships but one of my friends at the moment is getting physically,emotionally and mentally destroyed by this one person and it is so sad because no matter what anyone says or does, she just goes back and there is nothing more painful than that because you feel so helpless and you actually take on their pain, unhealthy relationships can really affect not just the victim but the people around them. 

So we may all know someone who is or has been in an unhealthy relationship so what can help someone to move past an unhealthy relationship?

Support from family, friends and counsellors can help someone move on also going out and doing things with them can help to get there mind off what is going on for them.

Highlighted

I think, no matter what happens - keep letting your friend know that you are there when they need you and you don't judge them - no matter how many times they go back. Don't let them become isolated. Keep being there. They will eventually take you up on it. And 1800RESPECT can always help too.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com