cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: It's a wild world.

Great suggestions DD! I also like to ask friends for positives or to help me discover positives if I'm struggling to find them myself and that can help get me back on track a bit. 

Highlighted

How do we stop ourselves from allowing these negative thoughts from constantly plaguing our minds?

I agree with DD, with the challenging strategies and some of the threads in the forums. When negative thoughts start to plague my mind. I kind of listen to them, not believe them just hear what they are saying and then physically (and mentally) change them so that they don't exist or a positive.

Highlighted

I think it's about acknowledging it and proactively stopping the negative thoughts. Sometimes it;s really hard, but if you can find just one positive thing to hold onto, it can make you feel OK until the negative thoughts fade. 

I love your post DD - I think it's really omportant to use strategies and not just expect things to change.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.
Highlighted

What effect does this have on our mindset? If we continue to dwell on these thoughts, allowing them to fester, do you think it could lead to mental health difficulties??

I don't know it's one of those tricky questions, I'm not entirely sure on, though I think over time if we continue to dwel on negative thoughts and allow them to build it can eventually lead to a mental health problem

How do we stop ourselves from allowing these negative thoughts from constantly plaguing our minds?

Hmm another tricky one. I guess this comes down to indivuality. How one person stops themself from allowing negative thoughts to plague their mind may not work for the next person.
Sometimes it's helpful for me to completely distract myself and not think about it, while other times I need to face it head on and try and work around why I'm feeling that way. SO it also does come down to the situation.

I think if we are trying to stop a negative thought from plaguing our mind we have to assess why it's there, is it legit, if not then we need to tell ourself that and try our best to ignore the thought, thus using distraction techniques or whatever works for you. If the thought is legit, then we need to accept that it happened or that it's there and somehow turn it around, so x may have happened to create y thought, but z is also true and a more positive outlook then x. (if that makes any sense, if made more sense before I tried to find words for it! LOL Smiley Happy)

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Highlighted

@N1ghtW1ng wrote:

I agree with DD, with the challenging strategies and some of the threads in the forums. When negative thoughts start to plague my mind. I kind of listen to them, not believe them just hear what they are saying and then physically (and mentally) change them so that they don't exist or a positive.

I like your idea of just taking a moment to acknowledge negative thoughts before you deal with them. 

Highlighted

@Lightuptheworld Thanks Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Start by appreciating more. Start by appreciating other people and other things around you then gradually you will start appreciating yourself without you realising.. I guess you could try this 

Highlighted

Great strategies everyone! Also, good point Bee about it being something we need to discover for ourselves in terms of ways to get rid of negative thoughts. 

We're about to finish up, but we have just one more question: what will you take away from tonight's discussion?

Highlighted

@Lightuptheworld wrote: 

We're about to finish up, but we have just one more question: what will you take away from tonight's discussion?

I'm going to take away that we're not alone in having issues with negative thinking, but that we can move beyond it and find more positives.

Highlighted

what will you take away from tonight's discussion?

that you can't stop negative thoughts but you can stop them from getting worse and developing into something really bad.