Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's a wild world.

“The world is full of crappy people”

“I should have thought of the right answer first”

“The worst is bound to happen”

“I won’t even bother trying because it will probably fail”

“There is war in the world. And poverty. And dangerous things. And a bajillion other horrendous things. Oh god."

We’re all guilty of engaging in negative thinking at some point. In fact, when you get on a roll with negative things that are happening in the world, it’s a little too easy to think of things. Yes, there are a lot of bad things in the world. Lucky for us, there is also a lot of good.

There are many different types of negative thinking; black and white, all or nothing, exaggeration and many, many more. All of them can have a different impact on how we feel and what we do to change how we’re feeling.

Sometimes we get so bogged down in negative thoughts about ourselves and the world that we begin thinking about our experiences from a subjective (your opinion) rather than objective (factual) view point. This phenomenon is called negative recall bias, where you see an event as purely negative but your friends or family see that event as all positive.

An example of this might be a sports game. You miss one goal, but get 3 others! You family and team mates congratulate you on the 3 goals you got, but all you can think about is the one you missed, and the whole game feels like a failure.

Negative thinking and in particular negative recall bias can have a huge impact on your mood. It can bring you down, reinforce negative feelings, and turn other positive thoughts and experiences sour.  Ultimately, it can impact on almost all situations and leave us feeling like crap!

So how do we stop the bad stuff ruining the good stuff? And how can we stay focussed on the more positive things?

This Monday the 13th of May at 8PM AEST we want to have a convo with you about thinking negatively, what this does to us, and how we might be able to change it, to give ourselves a brighter view on the world.

So come join us for a positive talk about some negative thinking.

As a wise doctor once said:

Re: It's a wild world.

Hey Guys Smiley Happy

Welcome to tonight’s GR session on negative thinking. I myself find this topic fascinating and deeply insightful – being something that we all tend to engage in no matter what age, race or background. So I hope you all are as keen as I am for tonight’s discussion on negative thinking which can strongly affect the way we act and interact with others. As always please keep in mind the guidelines so that we all can have a great, safe and exciting conversation. Your hosts for tonight are Rosie, lightuptheworld and myself.

So let’s kick it off!

Have you ever recalled a situation involving yourself to have been particularly disappointing or cringe worthy only to find that other people had a totally different perspective of the same event? 

Hey everyone! 

I'm so excited for tonight Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Have you ever recalled a situation involving yourself to have been particularly disappointing or cringe worthy only to find that other people had a totally different perspective of the same event? 

To be honest, I can't think of anything. I have a really bad memory Smiley Embarassed but I'll keep thinking!

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

Haha all good N1ghtw1ing! Thanks for joining us on this cold night Smiley Happy

Welcome N1ghtW1ng! That's totally fine! Do you know of any instances where other people may have experienced that sort of difference in reaction? 

Yeah it happens to me often. I fall into negative thinking patterns far too frequently, so I'm really looking forward to tonight's discussion.

Hey Guys! Tonights discussion should be very interesting! Smiley Very Happy Looking forwards to it.

Just a heads up, I haven't been so well this afternoon, so I may all of a sudden drop out of the convo, and will most likely be in and out as I'm trying to get homework done, but I'll do my best to keep up to speed! Smiley Happy

There's been a few of these moments, and while I can't recall them right now, I try to forget about them

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Hey everyone!

I'm excited too, N1ghtw1ng!

I can remember a time that I played netball and missed almost every opportunity to defend. My whole team were pumped at the end, because even though we lost, they'd had a FUN game. 

I often do this - only remember the stuff I missed instead of the things I did well.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.

Evening all, I might take part for a bit before I head to bed. (Currently not that well so might disappear from here soon Smiley Sad )

I would say yes, this occasionallyhappenes both ways with my best friend and I.