cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: It's a wild world.

Highlighted

What effect does this have on our mindset? If we continue to dwell on these thoughts, allowing them to fester, do you think it could lead to mental health difficulties??

Boy, oh boy. Negative thinking brings me right down. It makes me angry or frustrated and so I try to work on removing the kind of stimulus that will evoke those emotions, which then stops the spiral.

I also listen to music and dance around or sing to it, which tilts the spiral in an upward direction!

Highlighted

I've grown up living that life. For example I get a 95% on a test or something and my parents won't see the positive side of it but only concentrate on the 5% I lost. Now I question my self if I'm worthy enough when I get the same mark or do something similar to that.

Highlighted

@michine wrote:

Seeing as though we've all gone through these periods of negative thoughts...

What effect does this have on our mindset? If we continue to dwell on these thoughts, allowing them to fester, do you think it could lead to mental health difficulties??

I definitely think it can, and I've even noticed it happen in myself. It can make you more anxious or angry or depressed or increase your negative thinking to the point where it becomes a constant. This can then reach the point where it can move from individual instances to being a difficulty/disorder.  

Highlighted

@Sagira: That is a great way of viewing it.

@DD: Yeah I definitely agree, it will slowly seep into your entire being if you let it.
Highlighted

@delicatedreamer wrote:
@_sagira_: Your yesterday has been my tonight Smiley Sad. Hopefully I can get more done tomorrow Smiley Happy

You're here aren't you? That's doing something Smiley Wink

Highlighted

@N1ghtW1ng wrote:

@delicatedreamer wrote:
@_sagira_: Your yesterday has been my tonight Smiley Sad. Hopefully I can get more done tomorrow Smiley Happy

You're here aren't you? That's doing something Smiley Wink

This is true. Thanks N1ghtW1ng Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Loving the positive views you're sharing with each other! Smiley Happy 

So, we all have negative thoughts but How do we stop ourselves from allowing these negative thoughts from constantly plaguing our minds?

Highlighted

@Bee wrote:
@Sagira: I'm so glad I'm not the only one who doesn't watch hte news! I felt so awkward today in Drama because we were talking about Modern, relevant,hard hitting contemporary issues for our group performanes and I was hte only one who had no clue about anything other than the boston bombings!

Don't worry, I had no idea about the bombings either until awhile ago when people were talking about it.

Highlighted

How do we stop ourselves from allowing these negative thoughts from constantly plaguing our minds?

I like using thought challenging strategies such as the ones on the challenging negative thinking fact sheet (I think there's a link to it on the first page of this thread?) and other threads here on RO (such as 'turning negatives into positives' and '3 positives of today'). I find that when I practise these strategies a lot they start to work their way into my thinking patterns, so it's easier to pull myself up on my negative thoughts.