cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: It's a wild world.

In our heads we constantly obsess over things that we’ve done wrong or flaws that we see in ourselves. Why do you think this is?

I think everybody has that common fantasy of things just "going perfectly". We picture the moments of triumph but waste no time wondering what it would be like if something doesn't go just right.

So when that something inevitably goes awry we're left kind of mortified.

In our heads we constantly obsess over things that we’ve done wrong or flaws that we see in ourselves. Why do you think this is?

I agree with what delicate dreamer said.

I also think it has to do with us not wanting to appear narcissistic. 

also the pressure we put on ourselves, especially when comparing ourselves to others. You sort of figure if someone else can do it so well, why can't you.

@lightuptheworld: Not really, I performed on my year 12 grad. Now that I'm at uni maybe a new opportunity will arise?

I think it's a lot easier to focus on the bad things... and a part of us wants to change that (my logic is the more I think about it, the more I'll want to change it)

ALSO, we get crap put on us if we think highly of ourselves. For example if someone said "I did really well in that performance and I'm totally going to top the class" some people would see that as being too proud or 'up yourself'. There's also the other extreme of 'looking for attention' and 'fishing for compliments' if you are too negative. (keep in mind not everyone is sees it like that)

ARGH! CAN'T WIN!!!

I think the main cause of this could be self-confidence. If we don't have a high view of ourselfes we are more likely to pick out our flaws and what we've done wrong, compered to the awesome stuff we actually have done!

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

@Birdeye wrote:

Have you ever recalled a situation involving yourself to have been particularly disappointing or cringe worthy only to find that other people had a totally different perspective of the same event? 

Even just when going up to teachers to get results from work or handing in work. I've handed in work several times, expressing my unhappiness with the end product only to get a really good result.

I do this a lot too Birdeye!

@Lightuptheworld wrote:

Welcome Birdeye. 

Does it make you feel accomplished when you get a higher mark that you thought you would? 

Yes it does. Which is probably one of the reasons why I tell myself it's so bad, so I can feel slightly better if the result is bad and much better if the result is good.

Edit/addon: but, I'll often start wondering why my result wasn't better afterwards. 

Thanks for the insightful answers guys. Following on with the theme of focusing on the negative...

Have you ever found yourself remembering only the bad things that have happened in the world (like natural disasters, or people being rude) over a period of time?

For sure! I think i tmight depend on my mood (or whether I've eaten breakfast - HA!). Sometimes I'll get to work and be like: "ARG! I missed the bus, and THEN I didn't have enough change for my coffee, and THEN I was late to a meeting because I had to go to the ATM. The world hates me, and everyone is mean".

Otherdays, the exact same thing might happen, but I'm like "lol - interesting trip to work today".

Some days I get overwhelmed with all the sadness in the world. Other days I feel really lucky that I have a good life. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And still, I rise.

@dreamcatcher wrote:

@Lightuptheworld: Not really, I performed on my year 12 grad. Now that I'm at uni maybe a new opportunity will arise?

Fair enough. I hope an opportunity comes your way! Smiley Happy 

Have you ever found yourself remembering only the bad things that have happened in the world (like natural disasters, or people being rude) over a period of time?

Yep, definitely. I agree with Rosie that it can depend on my mood - if I'm not feeling great then I usually see everything in much more negative light.