cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's only a TV show. It's just a movie.

We’ve got images constantly being flashed before our eyes, whether it’s on facebook, instagram or pinterest; or in our movies, tv shows, magazines or the news. How we make sense of what we see in the world around us either confirms or questions our identity, where we belong and how we feel about ourselves.

Looking back, Australian media has a bit of a history of making diversity invisible. Shows like Neighbours and Home and Away have been criticised for constantly failing to feature families from ethnic minorities – and when they started to, it was pretty tokenistic and stereotypical. And that doesn’t really reflect Australia's true demographic! 

Feeling like we belong and have good self-esteem is incredibly important for maintaining positive mental health and wellbeing.  So what part do the TV shows, movies and news we watch play a part in shaping the way we feel about my identity?

Now that we have a part to play in creating the images that we see around us via facebook, Instagram and Pinterest, are things getting better? Is the invisible becoming visible? We can also make demands of networks and media outlets by shouting loudly via social media as well as campaigns and petitions.

Neighbours only got its first ongoing regular gay character in 2010 because young people demanded it. There were ‘overwhelming requests from young viewers in online forums that drove the development of the gay character and his coming out story (according to the executive producer of Neighbours)’.

On Sunday night, Redfern Now & the Mabo mini-series both won silver Logies. Deborah Mailman won for her portrayal of the wife of Eddie Mabo, the Torres Strait Islander who spearheaded the campaign to establish the principle of native title for indigenous Australians. Redfern Now is produced, written and directed by indigenous filmmakers and won two awards for their stories of contemporary indigenous city life.

Redfern Now was broadcast in prime time joining shows like Modern Family and Glee shows that also attempt to represent diversity in body shape, sexuality, disability. In news and current affairs we are hearing about stories of the campaign to keep the rainbow road in Oxford St as well as the seemingly never ending debate on marriage equality.

So, on Monday night we are going to be talking about how pop culture relates to our mental health and wellbeing. Could it be part of someone’s recovery from an eating disorder to stop buying certain “women’s” magazines or watching certain TV shows? How important are a self-care strategies like watching Rocky Horror Picture Show when feeling alone or out of place?

Join us at 8pm on Monday 15th April right here for our Monday night Getting Real session, we’d love to hear what you’ve got to say.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Re: It's only a TV show. It's just a movie.

Welcome All to tonights GR session Smiley Happy

Our topic for tonight is the impact of media on our life. We’ll be discussing the ever changing landscape of social media and the effect it has not only in the way we see ourselves but also our wellbeing. Although it may not be at the forefront of our thoughts the way in which social media impacts on us can be very significant and can alter ourselves and our perceptions without us even being aware!

Running this session tonight are Rue, Sophie and myself. If you feel upset at all during the discussion remember that there are people you can talk to. See the emergency Help tab in the top right corner of this page (the yellow one). Also keep the Community Guidelines in mind so that we can keep the discussion on track and useful for everyone. 

So without further ado, our first question is:

What TV shows do you regularly watch? Are there any that you feel you can relate to? Why or why not?

Hi everyone, looking forward to this one! Here are the guidelines if you haven't seen them before: http://forums.au.reachout.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/MUST-READ-ReachOut-com-Guidelines/m-p/16#...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Good eveninggggg everyone! Smiley Very Happy

What TV shows do you regularly watch? Are there any that you feel you can relate to? Why or why not?

I don't really watch a heap of TV but I do watch Glee, and Glee has been a show I've been able to relate to a lot in the past, especially with all the really real issues that it's tackled, such as sexuality, bullying, suicide, eating disorders, etc... 

Welocme everyone, such an awesome topic cant wait to have you all discussing it. 

I watch so many shows from Crime to Cartoons, I am pretty diverse in what I watch. I think I relate most to Glee and 2 Broke Girls - Because they deal with real issues that we normal people go through on an everyday basis. 

Welcome graphiqual Smiley Happy
Glad to see I'm not the only one who watches Glee

Hey graph!!!!!!! yep i watched the first 3 seasons of glee solidly... havent watched the last season yet...... i also like arrested development... and downton abbey!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hey Graphiqual Smiley Happy

I'm in the same boat I don't watch too much TV, well compared to what I used to watch Smiley Tongue anyway. I can't say that I've ever watched Glee though although from what you've said it seems pretty interesting....

My favourites are Game of thrones and Modern Family. I can't say Game of Thrones has any real relation but Modern Family definitely does, always bringing the laughs, with a message about family which usually hits close to home.

Highlighted

@ruenhonx - yup, massive Glee fan! Smiley Very Happy

I guess while you want to relate to shows - sometimes you want total fantasy, like game of throne and downton abbey!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com