cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: It's only a TV show. It's just a movie.

Hi guys! Smiley Happy

What TV shows do you regularly watch? Are there any that you feel you can relate to? Why or why not?

I'm an avid TV watcher so to go through all of them would take too long, but some favourites are Home and Away, House Husbands, Crownies, The Voice, Glee... I don't really relate to House Husbands as I'm not a parent, but as a young person I really relate to Home and Away and Glee as they deal with a lot issues relevant to young people (for example, H&A did an OCD storyline which I related to since I have an anxiety disorder myself). I relate to The Voice because I love music and singing and one of my favourite artists (Delta!) is on there. Did anyone see the performer on there last week, I think his name was Luke Kennedy, who was talking about going through a period of depression? His talking about this to the judges prompted some of the judges to discuss their own past difficulties with mental health (Seal was talking about how he struggled with panic attacks as a young performer). It wasn't a perfect conversation, but so great to see MH issues discussed on a top rating show and brought into the public domain, especially hearing the likes of Seal talk about their own experiences. Just goes to show it can affect anyone Smiley Happy

Yeah for dragonnns!

You are in charge of creating and shaping the person that you are (your identity). Are you influenced by what you watch and read (pop culture)? How?

@Sophie: I forgot about Downton Abbey! I love that show toooo Smiley Very Happy

Welcome DD good to have you here Smiley Happy Wow I had no idea Seal struggled with that. It is awesome that he spoke about it Smiley Happy Normalizes it a bit.

Wow, awesome DD, thanks for sharing that story about the Voice - I totally missed that (and I watch the voice quite a bit!!) i gotta try and find that on youtube!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

The media, society, the government all influence us into being a brainwashed, controlled product. We're all the same, if you think about it. We all behave in the 'net', we all think in the 'net', we all act in the 'net, etc. As soon as someone finds a speck of real individuality, they're condemned for it. For instance, I'm the shy, introverted type of person. I don't like people. For this, I seem to constantly be accused of 'having something wrong' with me, and being told to go see a counseller. I am not so depressed that it's effecting my life, I don't have something wrong with me. So why does everyone insist that I change, when I'm happy with the way I am? I've seen a psycologist. Biggest waste of time ever. She virtually tried to change my entire personallity. Well, sorry for not wanting to be part of the conforming, brainwashed common people.

So basically, the media eludes you from YOU, if you pay to much attention.
Highlighted

Are you influenced by what you watch and read (pop culture)? How?

Absolutely! But probably not as much by TV, for me... I'm super influenced by Harry Potter (I know I know, I'm sort of always posting about HP on here haha), because the themes are so relatable and real and moving, and I'm pretty sure a large part of the way I view the world nowadays is thanks to JK Rowling. 

@ruenhonx wrote:

You are in charge of creating and shaping the person that you are (your identity). Are you influenced by what you watch and read (pop culture)? How?

Hmmm yes i think definitely... though i dont know if i could pin point things spefically now.... looking back to when i was in high school though I could say i was very influenced by rocky horror picture show and the punks on degrassi junior high...!!!!!!!!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

What TV shows do you regularly watch? Are there any that you feel you can relate to? Why or why not?

I watch a lot of TV. Sometimes too much, but I don't mind that.

I'll just give a little list of what I watch/watched:

New, The project, the simpsons, Grimm, Doctor Who, Sherlock, The lying games, gossip girl, The ellen degeneres show, Frasier, Seinfeld, Modern Family, 30 Rock, 3rd rock from the sun, Everybody hates Chris, Malcolm in the middle, Psych, Next top Model, Project Runway, The amazing Race, Toddlers and Tiaras... I'm going to stop there.

I don't think there are any things I watch which I feel I particularly relate to. Of course I relate to bits and pieces from each of them, but there aren't any I look at and think 'that is my life/that is me', although there are some *cough*DoctorWho*cough* which I would greatly like to.