cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: It's only a TV show. It's just a movie.

Hey DD!

Are you influenced by what you watch and read (pop culture)? How?

I'd like to think not, but I can definitely see that what I see on the newspaper and on certain TV shows has had a direct effect on my views. I'm of a belief that our views tend to bend and shape themselves in accordance to what we feed our minds, so if we are constantly exposed to one viewpoint it will slowly become our own.

Welcome The Creep 7 Glad to have you here Smiley Happy You have such interesting views 

Welcome Birdeye, glad to have you here - I love Doctor Who and to think I used to bag it before I watched it.

@The Creep 7 wrote:
The media, society, the government all influence us into being a brainwashed, controlled product. We're all the same, if you think about it. We all behave in the 'net', we all think in the 'net', we all act in the 'net, etc. As soon as someone finds a speck of real individuality, they're condemned for it. For instance, I'm the shy, introverted type of person. I don't like people. For this, I seem to constantly be accused of 'having something wrong' with me, and being told to go see a counseller. I am not so depressed that it's effecting my life, I don't have something wrong with me. So why does everyone insist that I change, when I'm happy with the way I am? I've seen a psycologist. Biggest waste of time ever. She virtually tried to change my entire personallity. Well, sorry for not wanting to be part of the conforming, brainwashed common people.

So basically, the media eludes you from YOU, if you pay to much attention.

I agree with you, in part... because while I think it's true that the media reflects 'society's views on what is correct or acceptable, and then enforces that onto us, I think we as human beings spend way too much time trying to blame "society" for being corrupted or broken or whatever, without realising that WE make up society. I also think that media is changing, there's a lot more in the media nowadays that promotes individuality and raises awareness about mental health issues. 

Hey there the Creep, you make a really good point... the media certainly reinforce the way we learn how to "fit in".... Sorry you had a crappy experience with the counselor... there are definitely some that are more progressive than others....

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hi everyone!

I'm only new here so please bear with me as I try and figure this out! Smiley Happy

Like a lot of other people who have posted, I don't watch a lot of television but those shows I do watch I watch religiously. My favourite shows are Burn Notice, White Collar and Arrow (I've cheated and bought it from iTunes in the US Smiley Tongue).

I think of those Arrow is the one I could relate most with, not because I'm a masked vigilante (or am I?? Smiley Wink), but because the character kind of has to hide who he really is and sometimes I feel the same way Smiley Happy

@Hey Creep 7: Sorry to hear that, I can see where you’re coming from. I used to have a similar viewpoint where anyone who develops their own individuality and sticks out gets nailed down. But as I’ve progressed past high school things have changed and it seems as though being yourself is actually promoted.

I'm sure it does. However, we're in a place where we basically choose which media influences us. So the things influencing me are influencing me because I already like them and want them to influence me - I like how a character dresses, I adjust a bit of my dress sense, I have been influenced. I like a certain character/characters trait/characters hobby, I consider what ways I could improve myself to be more like that (eg. Sherlock playing Violin, House playing Piano, The Doctor travelling, Sheldon's knowledge on science), I will then have been influenced. 

I also adjust my views on things - such as how someone may see Cameron/Mitch on Modern Family and feel more comfortable to gay people adopting. 

I definitely am and I know it, when I automatically stereotype I know it comes from what I watch and I try to remember that TV should be distant to my life and how I view people and society. I think watching too much American TV has changed my accent a bit. 

Hey birdeye!! lol @doctor who reference!! we are going to talk about shows that help us relax and take care of ourselves... fantasy&science fiction are perfect for that!!!!!!!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com