cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: It's only a TV show. It's just a movie.

@Sophie: Definitely do. It was a great moment. Smiley Happy

Are you influenced by what you watch and read (pop culture)? How?

Yeah I think so. I think it influences the way I feel about myself and who I want to be. I think when you're a young person your identity is influenced by pop culture a lot. I can find characters, actors or music inspiring and really connect to it. I might also wanto disassociate myself with a particular trait or something if it is really negatively portrayed in pop culture. I think there is risks with your identity being totally influenced by pop culture though so you need to balance it.

Hey there wallflower!! Perks of being a wall flower was one of my most fav movies of last year.... is that what you are referencing?? thanks heaps for joining us - so great to have you here!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@thewallflower:

Thanks for joining us!! Smiley Happy

That’s what I love about TV so much! That there are so many characters out there and even despite being far-fetched super heroes in absurd situations we can still find common traits that we can relate to. +1 for arrow because he reminds me of Batman haha

@Birdeye wrote:

Are you influenced by what you watch and read (pop culture)? How?

I'm sure it does. However, we're in a place where we basically choose which media influences us. So the things influencing me are influencing me because I already like them and want them to influence me - I like how a character dresses, I adjust a bit of my dress sense, I have been influenced. I like a certain character/characters trait/characters hobby, I consider what ways I could improve myself to be more like that (eg. Sherlock playing Violin, House playing Piano, The Doctor travelling, Sheldon's knowledge on science), I will then have been influenced. 

I also adjust my views on things - such as how someone may see Cameron/Mitch on Modern Family and feel more comfortable to gay people adopting. 

I agree about characters influencing dress sense Birdeye. I've taken a bit of fashion inspiration from Nina Proudman and April Scott. Actually, I forgot to mention OFFSPRING in my favourite shows! Nina and I think so alike it's crazy. I really relate to her.

thewallflower - I love White Collar it i amazing, I wonder when its coming back and I kinda got fed up with Arrow, just lost excitement for me.

oo yea offspring, thats a good one

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

TV shows and media are stories are often created without our control..

Do you feel that social networking sites like facebook and blogs can help us create and control our own stories?

Highlighted

@delicatedreamer - oh I forgot about Offspring too, I love that show! Can't wait for it to return Smiley Very Happy

@TheCreep7: I think I agree with what the others have said. Of course I agree with you that we're influenced or even, "brainwashed" by the media/society/government, we're still allowed to be individuals. The majority of people, I think, are very similar to one another. Individuality is still alive though.
I know many shy, introverted people (I have been for the last few years) and I don't see people constantly trying to change us, or really any type of person.
There was a time though when my views were pretty much like yours.

I very much agree with what Graphiqual said - we make up society.

michine wrote:

TV shows and media are stories are often created without our control..

Do you feel that social networking sites like facebook and blogs can help us create and control our own stories?

I do think it's very very cool that all  you need is a phone camera and youtube to get your story out there these days... I think that has helped a lot with diversifying the images we see and the voices we hear... what do others think?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com