cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: It's only a TV show. It's just a movie.

Do you feel that social networking sites like facebook and blogs can help us create and control our own stories?

I don't think we can control anything online but I do feel that the media (TV, radion, news) do not have all the control anymore. I think we can create our own news, like when 9/11 happened people were taking photos and blogging about what happened, so I think more stories can be heard with social networking sites. 

Do you feel that social networking sites like facebook and blogs can help us create and control our own stories?

Oh yes. I think the internet and the sites that have come around in the last few years have really given us a lot of freedom to create who we are and how we're portrayed.

It's also given us the ability to see past the people immediately around us and instead find people with more similar views/problems/circumstances which lets us see ourselves differently.

Yeah I do. I also think it helps to access stories that are more 'real' as we can speak to real people and read about other people's experiences straight from them rather than having the information we receive filtered by the media. I think it gives things a bit more authenticity. Although there is a risk of people making things up since the stories might not be 'verified' if that makes sense (i.e. anonymous people trolling for comments).

TV shows and media are stories are often created without our control..

Well I think this is something that is TOTALLY changing nowadays. Just using Glee as an example (because it's sort of the only show I watch), but I really love how the director, Ryan Murphy, stays so connected to the fanbase via twitter, and he's really aware of what the fans want, and not only that, but sometimes you'll see something happen in the show that is pretty much a direct response to what fans are saying. Which I think is super awesome about social networking nowadays. 

Also with things like fanfiction etc, we sort of realy do create and control the stories in a way. 

As for creating our own stories, YES. I think with social media it's now so easy to get an idea out there, share something, make something, collaborate with a whole lot of different people... 

"It's also given us the ability to see past the people immediately around us and instead find people with more similar views/problems/circumstances which lets us see ourselves differently."

Good point!! And if we don't like the mainstream news we can look to independent media online etc...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

I agree DD real is more authentic but we also have to think critically about them more than we would seeing something on TV or on the news. 

@delicatedreamer wrote:

I agree about characters influencing dress sense Birdeye. I've taken a bit of fashion inspiration from Nina Proudman and April Scott. Actually, I forgot to mention OFFSPRING in my favourite shows! Nina and I think so alike it's crazy. I really relate to her.

And especially when there's someone who looks in someway similar.

Also, how many guys thought bow ties were cool and wore them before a certain someone did?

Highlighted

@Birdeye wrote:

Also, how many guys thought bow ties were cool and wore them before a certain someone did?

are talking about Darren Criss? Smiley Very Happy

We have kinda touched on this a bit but Do you think social media has made it better for those that feel invisible in the media because they are not represented, or worse? How?

@ruenhonx wrote:

I agree DD real is more authentic but we also have to think critically about them more than we would seeing something on TV or on the news. 

Hmm, I'm not completely sure about that. We certainly have to consider the source and desire proper evidence when a claim is made, but I think we should be doing the same thing with the more convential/trusted forms of media. Look at what gets put in the news/on TV in North Korea, and they're not the only place that does/has corrupted the information in such a way.