cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: It's only a TV show. It's just a movie.

@ Graphiqual, I was actually talking about the Doctor again (he's on my brain because of the new series..) but sure you can take it as Darren Criss!

@Birdeye wrote:

@ruenhonx wrote:

I agree DD real is more authentic but we also have to think critically about them more than we would seeing something on TV or on the news. 

Hmm, I'm not completely sure about that. We certainly have to consider the source and desire proper evidence when a claim is made, but I think we should be doing the same thing with the more convential/trusted forms of media. Look at what gets put in the news/on TV in North Korea, and they're not the only place that does/has corrupted the information in such a way.

I agree with you, we should analyse everything but some people may rely more on the news than a blog. I have to admit to that, when reading celebrity gossip I dont necessarily believe it blogs than I would E News! but I do agree we need to be critical of all the information we receive. 

Do you think social media has made it better for those that feel invisible in the media because they are not represented, or worse? How?

Much better! I truly believe that the internet has created essentially a true platform for free spech and opinion. Where people can express their opinions much more easily and anonymously without having the fear of social ostracising or any other implications which they may face in demonstrating their true thoughts. So the invisible now become visible!

Do you think social media has made it better for those that feel invisible in the media because they are not represented, or worse? How?

In a sense, yes. Social media is a massive tool that can be used for people who want to put themselves or an idea out there. Like Sophie said before, all anyone needs nowadays is a camera and an internet connection to share something. Loads of people on YouTube are there just to share parts of themself to anyone interested in watching, and I reckon in a way, YouTube has grown more powerful than TV and movies, simply because of the massive community and the vast numbers of people it can reach. 

Oh yes. Like I said in my last answer, we're able to see past those around us and find people who are more similar.

I'm going to use the recent example of the rascism rants on public transport which have been put online. Without social media these people who were being targetted would continue on afterwards with very good reason to believe that pretty much everyone feels the way the tirading people do.

With social media, they're able to see the negative national/global response the tirader gets/support the victim gets, they're able to hear/see other peoples similar experiences through the sharing of them online (other videos, blogs, statements etc.)

@birdeye - oh haha, I don't watch doctor who, but I suppose I just have glee on my mind lol...

Better I think because they can get their voices heard more.

Highlighted

I agree with you all social media is awesome and we can all have a voice no matter where we are and who we are. It is awesome isn't it Smiley Happy

Also just want to point out that while social media is such a massive and useful tool, it's only so great once someone steps out and uses it. It still comes down to us to make some noise in order to be heard, and I also think that because of the massiveness of social media nowadays, that can sometimes make it harder to be heard as well, in a way.

graphiqual wrote:
Also just want to point out that while social media is such a massive and useful tool, it's only so great once someone steps out and uses it. It still comes down to us to make some noise in order to be heard, and I also think that because of the massiveness of social media nowadays, that can sometimes make it harder to be heard as well, in a way.

I agree. When used CORRECTLY then it is so amazing but I think when it is abused (trolls) it then can have a worse effect on the people who are trying to speak up.