cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: It's only a TV show. It's just a movie.

Speaking of the rise of the social media sites like Youtube, Facebook etc.

Has diversity become more visible, but more stereotypical? How can we bust stereotypes?

Has diversity become more visible, but more stereotypical? How can we bust stereotypes?

I'm not entirely sure what's meant by the first part of that question... But I think that with the sheer amount of diversity displayed in different people all over the internet, stereotypes sort of start to decrease. The only way we can bust stereotypes is to be ourselves and prove the stereotypes wrong. 

I don't think it has become MORE stereotypical. I think it varies from being on the same level of stereotype to being less stereotyped, depending on what/when you're comparing. 

I think the first thing we have to do in busting stereotypes is to not be the stereotype that you don't want to be. If you're a blonde and don't want people to automatically assume you're girly/unintelligent/barbie then don't be that. Be who you want the world to think you are.

Next, we have to break out from our comfort zones, religious people who don't want everyone to roll their eyes or have assumptions about the type of people in their religion should be expanding their social groups with people outside of their religion (obviously it's fine for them to hang out with people in their own groups, just be friendly to everyone else to, not making them feel like you're excluding yourself from everyone else)

We need to stop labelling ourselves, instead just accepting who we are. When we can, it's good not to be labelling others unneccessarily  - what is the benefit in calling someone a hipster/goth/emo?

Those who don't agree with their stereotypes should be using the resources we have to disprove them to the world.

And education for the stuff that are just completely misunderstood. 

I think some shows are more diverse than others and I actually think American pop culture is more diverse than Australian pop culture. They do tend to be stereotypical like the token black guy or the smart asia. I think we can bust them by not buying into them so we need to stop reading a book by its cover and getting to know people with a clean slate. 

Oh, and as for whether diversity has become more visible, I think it has in a lot of ways. Though it still has a lot of way it can go.

To me diversity and stereotyping is inversely related, such as one increases the other decreases. In our current social media climate, more voice is being given to individuals to express themselves. As such we are able to gain more of an insight into other people rather than just classifying them in accordance to who we think they are based on preconceptions developed in the media.

How can pop culture positively and negatively affect your well being?

@Ruenhonx: I think you're certainly right about american pop culture vs Australian pop culture, part of that of course has to do with population/demographics and political correctness. The two industries are so very different to each other.

@ruenhonx wrote:

I think some shows are more diverse than others and I actually think American pop culture is more diverse than Australian pop culture. They do tend to be stereotypical like the token black guy or the smart asia. I think we can bust them by not buying into them so we need to stop reading a book by its cover and getting to know people with a clean slate. 

I completely agree with this Ruenhonx. I think there is diversity in some Australian pop culture though, you just need to know where to look. For example Crownies and Redfern Now both showcase Australian diversity in my opinion, it's shame both air on the ABC though and not on commercial channels. Channel 7, 9 and 10 really need to showcase diversity more, in both their drama productions and reality programs. Ten does seem to be improving in this area though, the Neighbours cast is quite diverse atm and Masterchef often has a wide variety of contestants.

How can pop culture negatively affect your well being?

I think pop culture negatively influences us when we become TOO immersed in it, and we forget to see real life. (Sorry, another HP reference!) but as Dumbledore said, "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." Which I think basically sums up what I see a lot of my friends doing when they get completely obsessed with their fandom. 

Also it can negatively affect our well-being when we start to compare ourselves to ideals seen in the media, or to certain characters who we think we should be more like. It's fine to aspire to be like someone, but it becomes a problem if it starts to make us view ourselves negatively.