cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: It's only a TV show. It's just a movie.

I basically just completely agree with what graphiqual said for this question and can't think of anything to add Smiley Happy

I agree with that comparing is the hardest with shows that showcase perfect people. The Biggest Loser for kids is a bit concerning as well because kids watching this will feel bad about who they are I think.
@graphiqual and Birdeye how can pop culture positively affect your well being?

@ Graphiqual: I totally agree with what you've said. Many times it is good to try and emulate some of the admirable qualities characters possess, but we must also realise that it is a TV show and it is not possible nor healty to try and completely emulate a fictional person.

how can pop culture positively affect your well being?

(tries not to make yet another HP reference... nope, can't do it Smiley Very Happy)

When it inspires me to be a better verson of myself.

Like how Harry Potter has basically taught me that love is the most important and most powerful thing ever. And to always stick up for what is right, and to never stop being exactly who I am. 

When you're able to identify with the thing which is currently 'in' as being something about you. Pretty nice confidence boost.

I think a lot of the stuff in pop culture is quite happy/positive/inspiring/funny, so any happiness that can be gained from it is good. Like with lolcats. 

It provides an easy talking point, back when Glee first came out it seemed like everyone was watching it and talking about it. Being social/increasing relationships can be very good.

When pop culture turns more serious, coming on to a cause, such as heterosexual/homosexual equality/acceptance, it can make people feel like they're okay.

How can pop culture positively and negatively affect your well being?

I think it can effect you negatively if you feel you have to live up to the ideals portrayed in pop culture or you see a 'group' you belong to (i.e. persons with mental health conditions) being portrayed negatively. Those things can make me feel bad about myself. It positively affects my well being if I relate to a character/ person or the things they are doing. Sometimes they can become a bit of an inspiration or 'role model' of sorts for me.

Highlighted

I think it can make you feel better, watching certain shows makes me happy and some pop culture can deal with something you are going through and don't know how to address, like Glee Smiley Happy Some can provide you with fascinating information like Crime TV and Animal Planet and stuff Smiley Happy

I think, like maybe the creep was alluding to earlier, is that pop culture can negatively affect our well-being by promoting one type of ideal - particularly in ads and w omens magazines for example.. the negative effects on body image, self esteem and disordered eating..

It can be positive when we see realistic depiction of diverse body types and can relate and feel like we belong and have something or someone representing us honestly

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Looking more deeply into the positive and negative aspects

Could watching certain TV shows or reading certain magazines affect someone’s recovery from eating disorders or other mental health issues?

Could watching certain TV shows or reading certain magazines affect someone’s recovery from eating disorders or other mental health issues?

It depends on what they're watching or reading... Like I mentioned before, I think these topics are becoming more and more prominent in media nowadays, such as in shows like Glee, and I think it could potentially become a massive encouragement for some people to seek help for these issues.