cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: It's only a TV show. It's just a movie.

Do you use certain shows and magazines for self care? How important are they when you are feeling alone or sad?

This is going to sound a bit bad, but sometimes when I'm feeling quite down about myself I like to watch reality TV shows which I know have people I can compare myself to and will find myself 'winning' more. 

I don't think I use any magazines. There really aren't any of them that make me feel good about myself.

I'm noticing more and more people who are different to the normal ideal yet still portrayed as amazing on tv lately, when I watch them shows/people I start thinkng about myself more positively (on the lying games for example, which is aimed at teens, the main character is thin but she isn't super tall which is nice for my fellow non-5"7ers, and one of the older women playing a character called Rebecca is on the larger size of healthy and is being portrayed fantastically in regards to sex-appeal)

Then there are the comfort shows which are just nice to watch or inspiring - doctor who, harry potter, care bears. 

I've never noticed them as being that important when I'm sad, but if they cheer me up just a little bit I guess that makes them important. Even if it's just a little bit, my happiness should be important to me.

Do you use certain shows and magazines for self care? How important are they when you are feeling alone or sad?

Absolutely, when I am feeling off, I get excited to come home to my TV shows and I watch a variety but sometimes I like light shows or movies, something funny or dramatic when I'm feeling kinda crap. My shows are very important to me and I watch soooo much that I can keep myself company, laugh all by myself and still be happy for that 40mins or something. 

Thank you for joining us here tonight guys Smiley Happy

Summary:

Pop culture, media and social media have all become intertwined with the rise of the internet to become a BEAST of attention and influence. In our daily lives we are constantly exposed to these sources which have an impact on the way we view ourselves and the rest of the world, whether we realise or not.

One major source of influence is our beloved TV, but why do we find it so appealing? As demonstrated in tonight’s discussion everyone has their own favourite TV shows which not only depend on the enjoyment that we receive from them but also how much we can connect with the characters. This ability to relate and become emotionally invested in these characters can have a profound impact on the way that we see ourselves and also the way we act.

A factor coming increasingly into play is choice; with the widespread availability of different TV shows, news sources and social media sites. Based on what we consciously choose to watch and surround ourselves with we are creating our own social media landscape which will in turn affect us.

In addition to this, with social media now eclipsing the traditional modes of media, i.e TV, radio and newspapers, there now exists a platform in which we can truly have an input into ( it only takes an internet connection and a keyboard!) – allowing us to create our own stories expressing who we are and how we want to be portrayed. This has given rise to the level of diversity that we can see in online and social communities as stereotypes purported by the media are busted open to reveal the true individuals. The emergence of individuals in society rather than more stereotypes is also dependent on us in changing how we perceive people.

Pop culture dual wields, possessing both the potential for positive and negative impacts on our wellbeing. The effect is very dependent on what is shown by pop culture and how much we immerse ourselves within it. In many instances we look towards role models in pop culture as inspiration; this can be a great ideal in trying to emulate the positive characteristics however when we lose sight of reality it can become detrimental, in aiming for something that is unachievable.

When people experience eating disorders or other mental health issues are constantly exposed to pop culture the effects can again be positive or negative, dependent on what is being portrayed in the media. In most instances people who are affected by these issues tend to compare themselves with those shown in social media who are often glamorised. As such people can feel inadequate if they do not understand the unrealistic standards portrayed.

Thank you all for the awesome discussion have a great night and have an awesome week Smiley Very Happy

yep i think it's really important to know what type of self care you need, and that films/tv etc might not be right for you..... everyone is different! (sorry for the cliche, but it;s true in this instance!)

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Night all! Has been a really interesting discussion. I've loved reading everyone's thoughts. Specials thanks to michine, Ruenhonx and Soph for facilitating. See you all next week! Smiley Happy

Thanks everyone for a really really awesome discussion tonight! loved hearing everyone's opinions!!!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Thankyou michine, rue, and sophie! And everyone else Smiley Very Happy
Goodnight y'all

Night Guys!