cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: It's only a TV show. It's just a movie.

Could watching certain TV shows or reading certain magazines affect someone’s recovery from eating disorders or other mental health issues?

Yes. Eating disorders and some other mental health issues will often invlove the affected comparing themselves to others. If they're comparing themselves to the idealised/made-up/glamoursied people in magazines and on TV that could make them feel a lot worse, or possibly a lot better.

When the magazines/TV shows show people going through issues, it could be beneficial, unless it's been handled really badly by the magazine/show.

I do think that some womens magazines - particularly ones that airbrush all their photoshoots like cosmo and cleo - could be really damaging for someone struggling with body or eating issues, that's why this project by a 20yearold young Australian is so cool, check it out: http://brainwashproject.wordpress.com/

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Could watching certain TV shows or reading certain magazines affect someone’s recovery from eating disorders or other mental health issues?

Yes definitely I think someone recovering from eating disorder looking at images that can be triggering can cause them to go two steps back and with some mental health issues being portrayed negatively can affect a person and can cause them to retreat and hide who they are and what they are going through because they may feel like they will not be accepted. 

Yeah I think it could, especially with eating disorders. There are so many distorted images of beauty in womens mags and so many articles about dieting and exercising to lose weight. I do think some mags are getting better with how the write those articles though and focusing them more on health and well being rather than weight. They can be positive too if women with lots of different body types are shown though. My sister bigger than me and loves to see women who are similar to her shape on TV (i.e. someone like Virginia Gay on Winners and Losers or Lisa Gormley on H&A).

I think it also depends on how critical they can think about what they are reading or watching. If you can critically analyze what you are seeing it can be less damaging.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

This is such an awesome discussion, your opinions are amazing, so we are at our last question, Do you use certain shows and magazines for self care? How important are they when you are feeling alone or sad?

Woah Sophie, I'd never heard of the brainwashproject before, the website has some good stuff on there. Thank-you!

"Do you use certain shows and magazines for self care? How important are they when you are feeling alone or sad?"
10,000% YES! though i have lots of different things i use at different times, comfort films - like HP - are awesome for distraction or relaxation.... Totally have done HP marathons in the past to purposefully lift my mood!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Do you use certain shows and magazines for self care? How important are they when you are feeling alone or sad?

Yes I do, but how effective they are is another story, haha... 

It's all good to try and drown my sorrows is marathons of several seasons of a TV show (which I have done on countless occasions), but in the end I always have to do something a little more proactive in order to make things better for myself. That said, if a show (or a certain book series!) means a lot to me on a deeper level, it has helped me in the past to get through stuff, not only as a distraction but also sometimes as a different way of seeing things. 

Do you use certain shows and magazines for self care? How important are they when you are feeling alone or sad?

Yep, I think they are important self care tools for me. TV shows are a great distraction when I am alone, sad or anxious. Depending on the show and storyline, they can help me feel more positive too. Mags can also be a good source information that can use to help me in a productive way when I'm not feeling great.