cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: LIVE CHAT: Accessing Mental Health Support Online - Thursday 23 April

Hey everyone.

Just wondering if anyone has used 7 Cups, or the Mental Health Forum, for worldwide and Australia? If so what did you think?

@mrmusic @Janine-RO @ecla34 @Hozzles @WheresMySquishy @Bee @Bananatime04 

@Tay100 

Highlighted

@musicfan_xo  I haven't personally, are thinking of using them? Let us know if there's any way we can help you through that process Smiley Happy

Highlighted

I was thinking of maybe trying them, yeah. I did try emailing the Mental Health Forum one but it wouldn't work. Tried emailing 7Cups asking about the rules but they never explained it to me, just about the therapists which cost $150 (which I'm  not interested in) @Tay100 

Highlighted

I've tried 7Cups in the past (around 4 years ago), so keep that in mind! But I found that because it was world-wide, the language and cultural barriers got to me a lot. It is focused on peer-support, like here, but unlike here, it isn't Australian-based. You can search for Australian listeners though, I think? The group support chats are nice, I think I used them the most because one-on-one was overwhelming.

Highlighted

Thanks @Hozzles , what did you think of 7Cups back then? I asked them what the rules are but they didn't tell me

Highlighted

Hi @musicfan_xo! I am a verified listener on 7 Cups. I don't have a member account. I'm kind of new to the site though so I'm still trying to work out how things are there and the rules, but the users seemed nice and welcoming. I feel as though it is a really different experience from ReachOut though.

The main ways of accessing support through 7 Cups are one on one chats, group chat rooms, and the forums. The forums are divided into topics for particular issues such as disability support, etc.
I've heard a few stories about dodgy listeners. The verified listeners have to do a role-play with another listener/volunteer who gives them feedback about how they did and the chat transcript is then sent off for assessment. The non-verified listeners just have the active listening training done and an automated role-play.
You can search for verified listeners or listeners from Australia in the 'Browse Listeners' section. You may have to select additional filters to see them.

Highlighted

Hey @WheresMySquishy , that sounds interesting. Thanks for letting me know

Highlighted

@musicfan_xo  morning!

Oh yeah, that's fair enough! It's a shame that 7cups never replied either, hmmm....I wonder if you could search for another similar resource, and we can come along for the ride with you? 
Are you interested in face to face once quarantine is over, or do you want it online?

Highlighted

@Tay100 morning.

Interesting. I was on the BB Forums but got banned just for trying to make posts, nothing triggering or rude, but other people can post however many times they want, ugh. But a lot of people have problems with BB Forums. Not trying to say to anyoen don't use them though. SANE I was being bullied, and am again, so my account is on pause, should be back tomorrow hopefully. So I just use this and Facebook.

Face to face would be cool too

Highlighted

That sounds like a really upsetting experience @musicfan_xo. I have read your list of supports elsewhere, so it is great that you have got some other services in your support network Smiley Happy