cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Last GRsession for 2013: looking after yourself in the holidays

For most of us, finishing our year of education or work has been something that we were looking forward to. Plans were probably made for the break and we were all relieved we no longer had to attend school, uni or work five days a week. But for some of us, it also doesn’t take long to realise that the holidays can be LONG (for uni and school at least) and that we don’t have plans for every day of the week. 

For example, pretty much all of my friends and I were looking forward to the holidays. Today, I just told them, “My God, I wish I could go back to uni so I’d have a routine.” Most of my friends agreed. Lack of a proper routine as well as any concrete goals has led to me slacking off on a variety of things such as my health, self-improvement, and other positive things.  

The summer holidays are also a time for letting loose after a year of hard work - and for some people this means some hardcore partying! As it's the last session for the year we'll have a bit of a chat about the the things we can all keep in mind to avoid killer hangovers and STIs.

This next Getting Real session will be about ‘looking after yourself in the holidays’. We will be talking about how to keep safe in summer during the holidays. I think it’s safe to say that summer is when most parties are held. However, it’s important to also consider some important topics that go along with this, such as safe sex and peer pressure. We will also talk about the dreaded boredom and most people experience during the holidays and how we can tackle such as problem.

Re: Last GRsession for 2013: looking after yourself in the holidays

Hey Guys Smiley Happy

For tonight’s session on ‘looking after yourself in the holidays’, Nathan, Sophie and myself will be facilitating.

We all look forward to the sweet summer holidays filled with freedom, however, when they get here we sometimes put ourselves in dicey situations in terms of partying too hard, drinking too much or having unsafe sex. Another aspect of the holidays is the creeping in of boredom. For tonight’s session we’ll be dealing with these issues and discussing ways to stay safe and kick boredom to the curb.

To keep the discussion safe and friendly please stick to the guidelines, and if you feel as though you need someone to talk to click the 'emergency help & info' link up the top right of your page.

SO without further ado, let’s kick it off!

For the first question of the night...

On the smiley scale how do you rate your summer so far? What are some of things that you’ve been up to?
Smiley MadSmiley SadSmiley IndifferentSmiley WinkSmiley Very Happy

Hey y'all! Can't believe it's the last session of the year!! Summer has been AWESOME so far - picnics, beach adventures... And I want to do much more of that!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Oh, i forgot my smiley - as I'm not on holidays yet I will just give it a regular Smiley Happy

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Smiley Indifferent

Holidays sucked for the first few weeks, because it's weird having no routine when one's been so busy for the last couple of months. But things are starting to be better with more things to do. Had a fun experience being an extra in an airlines advertisement Smiley Happy

Maybe everyone's too busy enjoying summer to be online tonight! Smiley Wink

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

The moment I finished my exams I hopped on a plane and went to India which was a definite Smiley Very Happy. Now I'm back at work but still feeling good so Smiley Happy

@Nathan: That's awesome! You're a celebrity Smiley Very Happy

Oh haha wow Nathan that's awesome! How did you get involved in being an extra!?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hey guys!

I think I need two smileys- Woman Very Happy very happy and Woman Frustrated a bit unsure/disappointed.

Soooo I'm really enjoying my holidays- relaxing (without the guilt!) watching tv shows and taking naps and seeing movies and having fish and chips at the beach! Yay! But I've relaxed so much that I'm not exercising as much and sometimes I feel lazy for watching TV all day- it's hard to relax after feeling like I always have to do something during semester!

@Nathan I want to be an extra too!