cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Last GRsession for 2013: looking after yourself in the holidays

@michine I'm hoping to go on foreign exchange at some point in my degree to Scotland Smiley Tongue Or if not, just a good ol' round-the-world trip, volunteering overseas or going to Switzerland. I heard from a friend that there's an A4-sized block of Swiss chocolate that costs AUD$2! Smiley Very Happy

As for the question: 

Over the summer holidays parties tend to be wilder and involve more drinking and even drugs. Are there any strategies that you use or could use to stop being peer pressured in these situations?

Personally, my friends aren't really into drinking or drugs o__O The drinking, even if it did happen, occurs minimally. It's important to be in a safe environment to begin with, I'd say - being at a friend's house is a good start. Being safe when you're leaving a venue is also important to; to ensure that your friends aren't drink driving or at least being looked after by someone you know and trust. I reckon that sometimes, it can be pretty hard to not get sucked in by peer pressure. All I can think of is removing yourself from that area by excusing yourself and then reflect on what's happened - to acknowledge whether or not those are the kind of people you want to hang out with as well as the kinds of things they do. 

Oh Pillow, it's no problem at all, i'm glad you brought it up I just meant that there will be even more chat on that later! Distraction is one strategy and talking to someone about it (anonymously on a helpline or to someone you know) is another

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@Pillow: that's good to hear. Surrounding with people you love and doing things that make you happy is best Smiley Happy

Great ideas people on partying safe - i like yours myvo!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Over the summer holidays parties tend to be wilder and involve more drinking and even drugs. Are there any strategies that you use or could use to stop being peer pressured in these situations?

Well my friends aren't really drinkers, but they're more into smoking and things like that. It's a bit scary at 14..

Anyway, I guess I'm sort of "in with the wrong crowd" and they've tried to get me to smoke a few times. I find it helpful to try and distract myself and my friends and focus ourselves on another activity. But sometimes it's hard to say no straight up, but so far I've been able to get out of it and haven't smoked so hopefully I can keep that up.

You can party safely by:
Having a plan before you go out, including how to get help if needed and transport options. This might involve choosing a designated driver who doesn’t consume any alcohol or other drugs.
Ordering your own drinks, and keeping them with you. This is a good tactic to avoid drink-spiking as it will make it much harder for strangers to get near enough to your drink to contaminate it.
Avoiding getting too drunk by spacing your drinks out, drinking something without alcohol in it, and drinking slowly and sensibly. Check out the factsheet on alcohol and trouble for some info on knowing your limits and tips for safe drinking.
Avoiding fights, and trying to defuse them without confrontation.
Remembering to practice safe sex strategies if you decide to have sex. Check out our factsheet on contraception for more info.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Last GR of the year? Oh why not jump onboard.

A strategy I heard someone else used was state at the beginning of the party "Hey, I am not drinking or taking any drugs tonight." Usually it helps let everyone know how to approach you for the rest of the night.

@Myvo : That sounds fantastic! Not only cheaper but the chocolate will be amazing!

That's great advice Myvo. Who you hang around with has a massive influence on what you will do, so choose wisely!

@Doris: Hey Smiley Happy It's the GR session/party!

Hi Doris! Thanks for joining in!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@Pillow That's great. It can seem hard to withstand peer pressure at times but I've never seen anything bad come out of someone standing their ground. If they're good friends, then they should understand.