cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Last GRsession for 2013: looking after yourself in the holidays

Good responses everyone! Here's the next question...

4. Parties over the summer holidays tend to be awesome fun but also can get out of hand. What are some dangerous situations at parties that you have seen? How do you avoid becoming wrapped up in these situations?

4. Parties over the summer holidays tend to be awesome fun but also can get out of hand. What are some dangerous situations at parties that you have seen? How do you avoid becoming wrapped up in these situations?

Well I've been to quite a few parties over the last couple of weeks, I've seen lots of people swimming when they're drunk and I've certainly heard about girls who have gotten sick from having unsafe, underage sex..

Usually when I go to parties I try to let everyone know I'm not going to drink alcohol and I make sure I serve my own drinks (obviously non alcoholic) to make sure no one puts anything in them.

My mate had a house party for his 18th which was pretty sweet but a group of gate crashers caught wind of it and were coming to join. This led to a confrontation between the two groups which turned into a brawl. The best thing to do in this situation is to keep a level head (bit hard when you're drunk!) and if you realise that you're intoxicated remove yourself from the situation you'll only make matters worse!

Fights on occasion, but good thing about having security in parties so they can handle things without getting police involved. I think it's important to just stay level-headed and not to be too wrapped up with group behaviour.

@Pillow : Swimming when you're drunk is deinitely the smartest thing to do Smiley Surprised... That's a good move Pillow, you always have to be a bit careful when it comes to what you're drinking. 

Parties over the summer holidays tend to be awesome fun but also can get out of hand. What are some dangerous situations at parties that you have seen? How do you avoid becoming wrapped up in these situations?

The only kind of dangerous thing I have seen happen was my best friend getting really drunk at a party once a disappearing somewhere with a boy for like an hour. A few rumours went around about what happened but she can't remember... Scary. Then she came back to my place and got so sick that we had to call her mum to pick her up because we were so worried about her. I think things to help you stay safe in these situations is:

- Drink responsibly

- Don't wander off alone/ away from friends

- Be assertive (if you want to say no to something, whether that be drugs, drinking, or sex)

- Try to help other people (who are really drunk for example) if it's safe for you to do so

Highlighted

Parties usually get out of hand when people take it wayyy too far with the booze. Go easy on the alcohol. I know I've said some stupid things when I was tipsy, but some people go all out. Especially with social media, you don't wanna end up like Katy Perry in her 'Last Friday Night' video - finding photos of yourself doing wild things online the next day. 

Also, on the note of alcohol and misconduct, don't do silly things that could get you arrested. I had a drunk customer at Maccas last night, provoking the police with name calling and saying things he shouldn't have said. He was taken away in cuffs. 

So, drink in moderation Smiley Happy

Oh drinking and swimming is a good point pillow - that happens a lot and really dangerous!! Keep an eye on yr friends this summer everyone!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Moderation is the key it sounds like folks - and looking out for each other is so important!! If you see someone wandering off with a guy or alone, go after them and check that they are OK!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Parties over the summer holidays tend to be awesome fun but also can get out of hand. What are some dangerous situations at parties that you have seen? How do you avoid becoming wrapped up in these situations?

I live on the Gold Coast so I see some awry and maybe some dangerous situations more often than not . __ . It's not so bad generally but I have seen drinking excessively and vomiting, fights, confrontations that look like they could escalate at any moment...

I avoid by purely staying away...