cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Last GRsession for 2013: looking after yourself in the holidays

Drinking in moderation and distancing ourselves from those dicey situations, especially when we have been drinking seems to be the key points in staying safe.

Summer and parties can bring about lots of sex, but there are consequences if we don't do it safely...

Contracting an STI is a bummer on so many levels – not only does it affect our physical health, it can affect our mental health too. What are some ways to protect yourself from STIs this summer?

Highlighted

Contracting an STI is a bummer on so many levels – not only does it affect our physical health, it can affect our mental health too. What are some ways to protect yourself from STIs this summer?

Use contraception, or only sleep with one partner that you know and trust (but still use contraception unless you're trying to get pregnant).

Highlighted

"Contracting an STI is a bummer on so many levels – not only does it affect our physical health, it can affect our mental health too. What are some ways to protect yourself from STIs this summer?"

I think that if you are going to have sex you really need to think about it first. You need to know if you're ready first of all. If you are that's fine but you should always use protection. So condoms obviously ahaha..
Also it helps if you aren't under the influence of alcohol especially if it's your first time because you might make decisions you wouldn't normally make and you might regret them later. I know one of these girls I was at a party at a while ago with is now 3 months pregnant at 14 years of age. She gets a lot of support from everyone around her, but she's only pregnant because she was drunk when she had sex.
Highlighted

I've been watching this show on ABC2 about STI clinics in the UK, and the message is condoms condoms condoms! It's scary how many people still don't use condoms for casual hook ups!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Great advice DD. It can be hard at times, but if we prepare and stop emotions from taking over we can stop ourselves from taking unnecessary risks.
Highlighted

I'd say that using protection (i.e. male and female condoms, the Pill, etc) is a must. Having a sexual partner that you can trust or if not, particularly if it's someone that you've just met, be honest about whether you are STI- and STD-free. Consent is also a big issue too - ensure that you and your partner are on the same page and that no means no as well as yes meaning yes. 

I agree with Sophie-RO, I think it's amazing (not in a good way) how many people don't use condoms these days. I think part of it might have to do with the fact that people think nothing bad will happen to them so they take a risk and sometimes other people are too embarrassed to buy condoms so they clearly just don't use them.
Highlighted

Oh one thing I learnt is that according to the law - no one can legally give consent for sex if they are drunk... So be careful folks - don't hook up with someone if they are really drunk. And make sure that you are getting active consent from anyone you hook up with - silence does *not* equal yes!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

@Pillow: That's a good point. I think STI's are much more embarrassing than buying condoms!

Highlighted

"Contracting an STI is a bummer on so many levels – not only does it affect our physical health, it can affect our mental health too. What are some ways to protect yourself from STIs this summer"

I second everyone else, protection is the best way to go. Can help protect you from the nasties as well as prevent finding yourself with a baby when you're not ready for one

(sorry i'm so late, I keep forgetting the three hour time difference :< )