cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Last GRsession for 2013: looking after yourself in the holidays

@Chonty: hmm yes reding a book is a good idea, I haven't read a book since grade 6 (so 2 years ago!!) wow that's a long time...lol

Lists are GREAT

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Mostly trying to keep busy, hanging out with friends as well as finding new places to explore and awesome places to eat! Smiley Very Happy

Oh yeah @Sophie-RO you reminded me! I'm volunteering at an animal shelter as well so that's another thing to add to my list of distractions/hobbies this summer Smiley Happy

Thanks for the responses guys. We'll leave boredom for a bit but will come back to it later on in the session. For now...

Last week we talked about strained family relationships over xmas. The same can be said over the holidays if we spending lots of time together, or have different expectations of each other and how to spend the holidays. How can we make sure we take care of our relationships as well as ourselves this summer? 

@ Myvo that is a great idea, foodie adventure!!

Last week we talked about strained family relationships over xmas. The same can be said over the holidays if we spending lots of time together, or have different expectations of each other and how to spend the holidays. How can we make sure we take care of our relationships as well as ourselves this summer?

I think just realising that holidays and spending more time than usual with family can be stressful for everyone. Sometimes just taking a time out and taking some 'me' time can help keep things calmer. Everyone has their own expectations and ideas, and I guess just respecting that can help?

Be patient with each other, make sure you get your own space (this is really important for me) and try to go out and do different things so that you're not hanging out with the same people (i.e. family) all the time and getting on each others nerves would be my suggestions (I will be trying to do all of these things).

Well in my family, a lot of my aunties and uncles don't speak to each other and they really dislike each other so Christmas is always hard for my family.

I just try to be myself and be happy and try to pass that vibe off to other people, I try not to favour a certain person and talk to everyone. I think sustaining a good relationship with all your family is a really important step in looking after yourself because your family are always going to be there for you and after all you are related so it's important to have good relationships with them. Smiley Happy

Also, it's good to talk to your family, but it's also important to know when enough is enough and give people their personal space. I know I get frustrated having family members talk and talk to me about something I'm not interested in.. Smiley Tongue
Highlighted

@DD: Love your point about not continually hanging around the same people. I love my sisters and my cousins but If I'm constantly with them over a long period we tend to have fallouts, so I try to spread myself around other people and find some time for myself (by doing things like manning the BBQ).

@Pillow : That is a great point that we tend to neglect, our attiitudes and how we conduct ourselves will greatly affect other people. If you're happy and friendly to other people, the sentiment is generally returned Smiley Happy