cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Last GRsession for 2013: looking after yourself in the holidays

Honest, open communication is important so that things can be fixed or reach compromise more quickly. 

Yep spreading yourself around AND knowing when enough is enough are both great ideas

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Next question guys!

Throughout the year we put off things that we’d like to do due to a lack of time. Now that it is the holidays, what are 3 things that you would like to work on or do? Can you think of a routine or weekly schedule that will incorporate these things to make your holiday more productive?

Last week we talked about strained family relationships over xmas. The same can be said over the holidays if we spending lots of time together, or have different expectations of each other and how to spend the holidays. How can we make sure we take care of our relationships as well as ourselves this summer? 

I am not sure about how to take care of family relationships. I guess, giving each individual some space is a good idea because there is no where to run to on Chrismas Day (most shops will be closed).

Some self care:

• Take a walk, leave the house.
  • Distract yourself with a book, music, film, going online, COLOURING IN
  • Call a friend (organise a catch up now and see if you both have nothing to do on Christmas Day)
  • Or call a helpline e.g. Kids Helpline
  • Remind yourself, this festive period is only short term. Eventually the shops will open again and everything will operate like usual
  • Positive self talk "I've coped through last Christmas, I can cope this Christmas" 

9. Can you think of a rough daily routine or weekly schedule that will incorporate these things to make your holiday more productive?

I think that spending a day or two a week with friends and family is good, and it's not too much that will make you sick of each other.

I think a couple of days a week to do some sport or one of your hobbies is nice.

I also think it's important to have days that incorporate some sort of physical exercise because it's good for your mental and physical health and it makes you feel good about yourself.

And finally, I think it's good to have maybe one day at least to relax and have some time to yourself, maybe treat yourself with a massage or go to a spa, or maybe stay at home and watch a movie.

I think it's important to leave time for yourself but not too much that will make you bored and let your mind wander to other things that might make you feel upset or think negatively about yourself or your life in any way. After all, this is summer-we want to have a great time! Well I know I do Smiley Tongue

Can you think of a rough daily routine or weekly schedule that will incorporate these things to make your holiday more productive?

I'm hoping my holiday routine will look something like this:

- Work 3 or 4 days a week.

- Social outings 2 or 3 days a week.

- Do TAFE study on about 3 days.

- Make some time for engaging in a hobby on most days.

- Exercise 4 or 5 days a week.

- Mindfulness practice everyday.

- Try to get up at the same time everyday.

I'll also be making sure I still go out alone regularly during the holiday period (during the day like to the shops or whatever). I didn't do this last Christmas holidays and my anxiety really peaked when I went back to uni as a result.

Getting up at the same time each day is a great tip DD

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@delicatedreamer Wow, that's a great plan. Especially the point about getting up at the same time everyday. I know that all of my friends and I have really erratic sleeping patterns now and it's affected all of us negatively.

Highlighted

9. Can you think of a rough daily routine or weekly schedule that will incorporate these things to make your holiday more productive?

10am - wake up

1. Walk out into the backyard and let the guinea pigs out, the sun should help wake me up
  2. Brush teeth
  3. Brekkie
  4. Do a to-do list for the day
  5. Lunch

3pm - walk the dog

7. Chill (Read a book, watch Law&Order)

8. Get ready for work (I work nights) 

9. Come home, don't dwell on the negatives from work. 

@Pillow and DD: It's great how you guys have such a good balance between physical activities, relaxation, family and alone time. It's also very encouraging to see that you guys have a drive to improve yourselves through doing early study or sports Smiley Happy