cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Last GRsession for 2013: looking after yourself in the holidays

Great responses guys, always wear a raincoat. Now on to the next question...

6. After the initial rush of excitement to start the holiday’s boredom usually kicks in as we aren’t used to having so much free time. How do you deal with the boredom?

@Sophie-RO I didn't know that!

Thanks for joining us Chonty Smiley Happy

After the initial rush of excitement to start the holiday’s boredom usually kicks in as we aren’t used to having so much free time. How do you deal with the boredom?

This always happens to me! I'm alwas pumped up for the holidays, go to parties at the start and then things just seem to die down and I find myself with so much free time that i just don;t know what to do! It's at this point that I try to hang out more with mates and do something more active to get the blood flowing.

6. After the initial rush of excitement to start the holiday’s boredom usually kicks in as we aren’t used to having so much free time. How do you deal with the boredom?

You're so right, after Christmas everything settles down really quickly and I have so much spare time and nothing to do. I try to catch up with friends and spend time doing things I like such as sport, going to the beach walking the dog etc to try and keep myself distracted.

I'm not sure if it's a problem for anyone else, but if I don't keep myself busy then I start to feel down and it sort of gets progressively worse from there. So I always try to keep busy.

It's always good to try and get a summer job, I know I'll definitely be applying for a part time job over summer, gets me money for my cruise next year and keeps me busy. Win win situation yay Smiley Happy

After the initial rush of excitement to start the holiday’s boredom usually kicks in as we aren’t used to having so much free time. How do you deal with the boredom?

I struggle with it to be honest. At the moment I'm spending a lot of time playing candy crush saga but it's not the most effective strategy, haha... I'm also taking a lot of shifts at work this week so I'm hoping that will keep me busy. Other strategies I'm planning to try out are catching up with friends, going out with family, studying (for my flex TAFE course) and immersing myself in hobbies or learning a new skill (playing music, baking, sewing... etc). I might clean/ revamp my room too.

Seems to be the opposite for me. The holidays were so boring for me at the start but I'll finally be having stuff to do in the coming weeks. I think something people could do is to compile a list of things they want to do. For me, that's been reading and learning how to code.

@Pillow wrote:

I'm not sure if it's a problem for anyone else, but if I don't keep myself busy then I start to feel down and it sort of gets progressively worse from there. So I always try to keep busy.

The same thing happens to me too Pillow so I always try and keep busy too.

Sometimes just having the opportunity to be bored can be a novelty :3 I like the feeling that you don't have anything pressing to be done. Although it does wear thin. Usually I'll start some kind of hobby, like thinking I'm a champion at art and should start charcoal drawing. Hardly ever keep at it but it's still fun!

And you can always fall back on reading a new book

Yeah it's not easy dealing with boredom and it does seem inevitable over any long summer holiday.

@DD and Chonty: Immersing yourselves in your hobbies is a fantastic way to go about beating boredom!

Trying to keep busy and setting your self a routine for each day of the holidays is a really good idea.

Make sure you have a plan for the next day before you do to sleep every night. Something that I'm really excited about is getting into cross-stitch!! But figuring out something creative that you like to do is a great way to make the most of your time off....

Learn something new (youtube tutorials are amazing - I'm doing some singing ones - but you can kinda teach yourself anything with the help of youtube!)

Getting a part time job can be a win-win like Pillow mentioned - but volunteering can be a great way to help your heart & head this summer

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com